Got wood?

Gump

11 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Now you need a shed that holds 25 tons.?

I’ll stack it outside for the summer then it goes into the shed. This plus what is currently in the shed will probably last two winters.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

What did you haul that in? That little truck in the picture would have to make a lot of trips.

I cut it out of our woods. Some I skid up tree length and some I block up in the woods then put it on a trailer behind the tractor. 

• Heart 1

We just split it yesterday. I never found it worthwhile to own a splitter as I can rent one for $50/day. I picked it up at 7 yesterday and we were done at 2. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

When I was young and the Maintenance Supervisor at a large retreat center/summer camp we would have races which two man team could split wood faster. The team using our hydraulic log splitter or the team using the maul of their choice. I could run rings around the hydraulic splitter with my 25 pound monster maul. It wears me out now very quickly when I use it, I mostly use a lighter one now.

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I was young and the Maintenance Supervisor at a large retreat center/summer camp we would have races which two man team could split wood faster. The team using our hydraulic log splitter or the team using the maul of their choice. I could run rings around the hydraulic splitter with my 25 pound monster maul. It wears me out now very quickly when I use it, I mostly use a lighter one now.

I still plot some by hand. We have a grove of locust at the other end of the property. Every fall I cut 2-3 cords of dead standing trees and those I split by hand.

Any one remember that splitter gizmo that looked like a threaded cone that you put on your truck axle, with the truck jacked up, ran the truck to spin the thing, and rammed the firewood into it ?

Looked like a disaster ready to happen. Was about the same time as lawn darts.   :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Further said:

Any one remember that splitter gizmo that looked like a threaded cone that you put on your truck axle, with the truck jacked up, ran the truck to spin the thing, and rammed the firewood into it ?

Looked like a disaster ready to happen. Was about the same time as lawn darts.   :D

That was the fastest log splitter ever. All the rednecks on the mountain used those. They would laugh at people spending money on hydraulic splitters. They said heck everyone I know has at least one old truck sitting in their yard anyway, might as well put it to work.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nice truck.  What year is it?  I am guessing a 2014?  That's what mine is.

It is a 14

On 6/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, Longjohn said:

25 lbs? Wimp.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I just hope that stuff gets stacked and out of my way before I mow or I’m going to be pissed.

Had you ever shown up to mow you would know that’s in an area that doesn’t get mowed. 

• Haha 1