Hey Allen...Breadmaking

I eyeball my recipes. 

Roughly: 2 cups of yeast water to two cups bread flour and a glop of syrup (barley malt is my favorite, followed by molasses) I let that sit overnight.

To that I add two-three more cups of flour, a palm full of salt, and kneed it into a dough.

Let rise in a greased bowl until double in size, deflate, fold and let rise again in a baton.

Preheat the oven to 500°, and reduce to 425° when I put the dough in. I bake on a stone. 

My oven cooks a loaf in about 50 mins. 

Holy shit.  How do you get them that shape? Those are beautiful loaves.  DUDE!  

What is a baton?

I usually eye it as well.  My basic recipe is of course, the Bittman recipe and I add more WW.  For every cut of WW flour I put in a TBS of vital gluten.  I add a cup of my Mother to the recipe for sourdough.   I use an old cast iron.  One 1/2 hour covered and then uncover.  About 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of yeast.  salt, water, no sugar. 

Ride overnight in a bowl, then, flip out and shape and place in a resting bowl with some oil.  The transfer is sometimes a problem.  If it catches on the rim of the bowl it snaps back and can deflate my dough.  I heat my cast iron nice and hot before.  Take the oven to 500, and then open it and put the dough in the cast iron, close lid... reduce to 450 and then uncover for the last 20-30.  When I see nice tears in the dough, the gasses are ripping out and it is done.

I am clearly a novice looking at this masterpiece.  Wow.

salt is about 1.75 tsp of salt

When I make pizza dougn, I don't really measure.  that one I am pretty comfortable with.  I start the dough the night before and do like a sponge...thicker than cake batter, but not dough.  the next day I put enough flour until it looks and feels right. Rest in greased bowl with olive oil.  

8 hours ago, Allen said:

I flour it pretty heavily. Flop it upside down and remove it slowly. 90% of the time all is well. 

It is really dry here.  Desert climate.  I am thinking my bread would end up far too dry.  I live in a high mountain desert climate at 4200 ft.

How do u get that pic on the top?  HOW?  My mind is blown.  I haven't researched bread too much.  I thought I was on to something with Bittman. HAH

...and I can't turn my oven on right now for my no knead bread.  Been doing bread in the traeger, and I am having trouble getting the crumb I am used to,  It's good bread, but maybe I should turn the dial to "this is the hottest setting we have,."  HAHA

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

...and I can't turn my oven on right now for my no knead bread.  Been doing bread in the traeger, and I am having trouble getting the crumb I am used to,  It's good bread, but maybe I should turn the dial to "this is the hottest setting we have,."  HAHA

I cook on a stone. Preheat to 500° and when you put the loaf in reduce the heat to 425°. 

I looked into that basket thing, but I am not sure it would work where I live. Very dry desert here.  Humidity is quite low.

I do have a stone.  I am going to try this.  I cracked my last one.  Cold stone hot grill = stupid person that now owns a cracked stone.  Thermal stress I believe.