Waiting to schedule an MRI

petitepedal

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Waiting to schedule an MRI

Like "waiting in line" or "waiting on the phone" or just "waiting/delaying to call someone about setting up an MRI"?

What's the process for scheduling an MRI? A prescription from a doctor and then a call to a MRI center? Or some extra hoop for insurance?

There's usually been one week's wait to get an MRI when I've scheduled one over the past few decades.  Except one memorable time.

In the late '90's, my mother was afraid to get one and finally summoned the courage to do it one day.

I immediately drove her to a radiology clinic where one of my former high school physics students, Robin, was the manager.  As mom filled out the papers to schedule it, I asked another worker if I could talk to Robin, then explained to her that my mom would probably chicken out by the time the appointment day arrived. Was there any chance of doing it NOW?

Mom thought we were heading for the exit when we were ushered into a room and, before she could object, found herself in the tube getting the MRI.

The medical problem was my mother's hearing loss in one ear and she really needed that MRI. It showed she had a colesteatoma - basically a growing wart in her inner ear that had destroyed her hammer and anvil, burst her eardrum, and could grow into her brain and kill her.

She had the necessary operation to remove it, had an artificial hammer and anvil put in place, and a new eardrum made from skin taken from behind her ear.  Her hearing in that ear was never perfectly restored, but at least she could tell what direction sound was coming from!

MRI's are fun. They put headsets on you, and for some stupid reason get all upset when you rock out to the sounds...boom...boom..boom. The tech's just don't know how to party. ? For what they charge (that hopefully insurance covers) don't let them cheap out. Ask where the wine and beer table is and stock up.

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

:wacko: Need Insurance approval...WTF I gotta pay the first $2,700 anyway....

OUCH! $2700 is so bogus. Something to look forward to...Medicare. 

Just pulled MRI of arm had done September 2018. Hospital had me sign if insurance didn't pay was liable for the entire $3241. Received my Medicare statement - Billed $3241, Medicare approved amount $3241, Medicare paid $170.69, you owe $43.55 (but my co-insurance "Plan F" picked that up).  $3241 is what they charge people without insurance...but every insurance company negotiates down from that. Have you talked to your insurance to get an idea what the true price is?