Traffic

Dottleshead

The title refers to an inscription written by actor Michael J. Pollard in Jim Capaldi's book while they were both in Morocco. Capaldi and Pollard were planning to work on a movie that was never filmed. Capaldi said:

Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and the Band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.' For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The 'Low Spark,' for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The 'Low Spark' meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level.[1]

...1971 was a tough year for me, and I had more on my mind than whatever was the popular music stream of the time. I didn't really reconnect with music until about maybe 1974 after my first divorce.

The only reason I saw Easy Rider was that it was playing in an Italian movie theater in Naples with subtitles.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

@Prophet Zacharia is an afficianado of the 60s shit and he is a gen Xer like you I think.  I was in college for dark side and wish you were here and loved them. 

I was 1 year old when DSOTM was released. My parents had me too late for me to catch most of the good bands in their prime. Fortunately, i’be been able to hear many of the great shows from the era with the modern magic of cd copying sharing soundboard and audience recordings.

Traffic is a "lightning strikes once" band for me.  Front to back the John Barleycorn album is magnificent (especially the link) - but nothing else of theirs ever did much for me.  (The song "John Barleycorn" was one of the songs that helped me learn fingerstyle guitar)

Same thing with the Grateful Dead.  American Beauty is nearly perfect, but really I could do without all the rest.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1