Another pic you might like

Parr8hed

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yay! Is that new?  He is towering over those two other kids.  Could have a Taylor Phinney on your hands!!!!

This was U14.  The other kiddos were pretty smallish.  He is 14.  Had I known that all of the other faster kids were racing U18 I would have moved him up as well.  These two kids were around 12 I think  They are fast as hell, don't get me wrong, but G just had too much for them.  He rode away and finished about 1 min ahead of everyone, coasting across the line.  Next race will move him to U18. 

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

This was U14.  The other kiddos were pretty smallish.  He is 14.  Had I known that all of the other faster kids were racing U18 I would have moved him up as well.  These two kids were around 12 I think  They are fast as hell, don't get me wrong, but G just had too much for them.  He rode away and finished about 1 min ahead of everyone, coasting across the line.  Next race will move him to U18. 

It only seems right to let him show - decisively - that he is ready to move up to the next group. He'll know he could handle his age group, and now can grow and adapt to the newer (and maybe tougher) competition.  

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

It only seems right to let him show - decisively - that he is ready to move up to the next group. He'll know he could handle his age group, and now can grow and adapt to the newer (and maybe tougher) competition.  

Yea, I think that you're right.  And historically he has not been really great on the MTB.  Was only on the podium of this same race once last year. 

What does G think about moving up?  There's an advantage to allowing him to dominate in his own age group before moving.  One race is not domination.  If you move him too quickly you could stifle his confidence.  The confidence he's been building and now is having confirmed.

30 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea, I think that you're right.  And historically he has not been really great on the MTB.  Was only on the podium of this same race once last year. 

Yeah that’s a tough call. Competing “up” has its pros & cons but ultimately you want to see some success in their appropriate age group before moving up. 

You may already come across this with Em in softball.  My son played 18U as a 16 YO.  It was good for his pitching development but he was overmatched when he batted.

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

What does G think about moving up?  There's an advantage to allowing him to dominate in his own age group before moving.  One race is not domination.  If you move him too quickly you could stifle his confidence.  The confidence he's been building and now is having confirmed.

He is way ready.  There are only 5 short track races.  We'll miss next week due to vacation.  So leaves only 3 left for him to race.  He wants to race with the faster kids.  Short track is really only training for cross (for him anyways).  We contemplated letting him race with the men's C after his 14 race last night but he said it was too hot. But when he was done he almost looked a little sheepish about it.  He told me that he shouldn't be racing in the 14's.  I agree.  It's like letting his sister pitch to rec league players that don't do travel. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah that’s a tough call. Competing “up” has its pros & cons but ultimately you want to see some success in their appropriate age group before moving up. 

You may already come across this with Em in softball.  My son played 18U as a 16 YO.  It was good for his pitching development but he was overmatched when he batted.

Ha!  See my prev reply.  I just want to see him compete and not finish a half lap ahead of everyone else. 

• Heart 1