3 Reasons to Buy a Gravel Bike Instead of a Roadie

dinneR

https://www.outsideonline.com/2395568/gravel-bike-vs-roadie

At the 2019 test, more than half of the 26 road bikes we tried were aimed at mixed terrain, and we could have easily filled all the road slots with new models of these wide-tire, relaxed-geometry rides. Statistics bear out that expansion: while unit sales of road bikes decreased as a whole in 2018, the subcategory containing gravel bikes was the only segment to post a gain.

"But the all-road trend has moved the focus of the road market away from aggressive, hard-riding race machines and toward more forgiving and versatile bikes, which are far more appropriate for the majority of riders."

There has always been no good reason for road race bikes to the general public. Could we also say that the automotive industry has moved away from "muscle cars"? The article also points out there may be a possibility that the industry has created the ploy to sell bikes.

10 hours ago, dennis said:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2395568/gravel-bike-vs-roadie

At the 2019 test, more than half of the 26 road bikes we tried were aimed at mixed terrain, and we could have easily filled all the road slots with new models of these wide-tire, relaxed-geometry rides. Statistics bear out that expansion: while unit sales of road bikes decreased as a whole in 2018, the subcategory containing gravel bikes was the only segment to post a gain.

Biggest reason, for me, is I already have two road bikes :D 

Of course, now we have Trek's latest iteration of the Crockett:

King of the cross frontier

Crockett is more than just a cross bike. It's the ideal companion for your daily commute, the ultimate CX machine for your local race series, and a trusty steed for all your gravel adventures.

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

"But the all-road trend has moved the focus of the road market away from aggressive, hard-riding race machines and toward more forgiving and versatile bikes, which are far more appropriate for the majority of riders."

There has always been no good reason for road race bikes to the general public. Could we also say that the automotive industry has moved away from "muscle cars"? The article also points out there may be a possibility that the industry has created the ploy to sell bikes.

I agree.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Biggest reason, for me, is I already have two road bikes :D 

Of course, now we have Trek's latest iteration of the Crockett:

King of the cross frontier

Crockett is more than just a cross bike. It's the ideal companion for your daily commute, the ultimate CX machine for your local race series, and a trusty steed for all your gravel adventures.

Maybe you bought the wrong bikes.

• Heart 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first road bike, a 69 Schwinn Varsity, had relaxed geometry. My best bike, also made by a member of the Schwinn family, is the Gunnar Sport. It also has relaxed geometry.

For most, relaxed geometry is the way to go. When I was younger, racing bikes were delicate things. I used to go riding with kids that had expensive bikes, mostly Italian. I was the only guy that never had a problem on a ride. In fact, I loaded it down with what seemed like 50 pounds of camping gear, and rode it to the next state to see a rock concert. The concert was dreadful, the ride was epic.