Anybody here own a silencer?

Road Runner

Silencers are legal here in Virginia, although it isn't easy to purchase one (background checks, etc).  A gun shop guy on TV said it takes about a year to go through the process and get one.  The recent shooter in VA Beach had one.  Now the Governor wants to ban them, which is fine, but in reality, the shooter would not have been deterred one iota by not having a silencer. 

The gun shop guy said that law abiding people want them to use for target practice and such as a way to protect their hearing.  Nobody makes hearing protection sufficient to prevent hearing loss from gunfire?  I would think you could use ear plugs plus the ear muff style protection and it would do fine.

I think the legislation to ban silencers and large magazines will pass which is probably a good thing, but it isn't going to stop a maniac from going to work and killing and maiming large numbers of his fellow workers if that is his crazed intent.

I really don't think this has to degrade into a political discussion.  It's just common sense that people who want to keep a gun in their homes for hunting or for home protection do not need a silencer.  Unless I am missing something...   

Sadly it only takes one gun to cause a kerfluffle, so there is snot a lot we can do when someone wants to become homicidal.  Even with mental health, that is a long row to hoe because just aboot anyone could go off the deep end I think. I guess there are percentages to play though with that.

• Heart 1

I have fired silenced/suppressed weapons but never owned them.  

I personally don’t see a valid reason for citizens to have them.  I put more rounds downrange than many here for 6 years of my life with no hearing impairment.  Although my wife may say otherwise! ?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Now my butt, when it speaks, you better pay attention

I thought I read something recently about a silencer thingy you could buy for farts.  ?

Or maybe it was underwear designed to absorb the odor.  Whatever.

IMO the ruin accuracy so the target practice thingie may be x amount of cow excrement.  I believe they foul that barrel and result in extra cleaning as well.  Sound deadening headsets take much less than a year to buy, are less expensive, probably more effective and don't make it difficult for others to know where the shots came from.

Now I don't think most silencer buyers have nefarious purposes but they are probably interested in playing pretend spy in a movie.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO the ruin accuracy so the target practice thingie may be x amount of cow excriment.

They were interviewing the owner of a gun shop that sells them.  I'm pretty sure he was just trying to think up some sort of defense for why anyone needs to buy one.  

2 minutes ago, Allen said:

I have one on my 308, I have friends with them as well. 

The difference of the 308 suppressed and not suppressed is it is not literally deafening and only ear splitting. 

Is ear protection such as plugs or ear muffs ineffective?

Just now, Road Runner said:

Yeah.  I thought about the neighbors in a rural setting.  That's the only thing that I could think of that might justify their use.  

Hearing protection as well. 

Guns are ridiculously loud <—this coming from someone who spends time on a range. And the main reason I prefer my air rifles to all of my guns. 

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

Hearing protection as well. 

Guns are ridiculously loud <—this coming from someone who spends time on a range. And the main reason I prefer my air rifles to all of my guns. 

Ever have a 1911 discharge a foot from your head in a closed room?  OMG now that is ridiculously loud!

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yeah.  I thought about the neighbors in a rural setting.  That's the only thing that I could think of that might justify their use.  

In England they are encouraged for this reason. No stamp, and they are 1/4 the price. 

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

late 60's pistol competitions at indoor ranges.

What?

I take it hearing protection wasn’t a thing then?  Mine was on duty and not at a range so no hearing protection either...

I was a range NCO for a while, got tired of the frequent headaches as they would schedule groups of 10 to qualify every hour... Even with hearing protection it got to me.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I take it hearing protection wasn’t a thing then?  Mine was on duty and not at a range so no hearing protection either...

I was a range NCO for a while, got tired of the frequent headaches as they would schedule groups of 10 to qualify every hour... Even with hearing protection it got to me.

Wellllll.  I did follow it up with getting my funny car license as well......still no hearing protection.  :nodhead:  

What? What? eh?

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Silencers are legal here in Virginia, although it isn't easy to purchase one (background checks, etc).  A gun shop guy on TV said it takes about a year to go through the process and get one.  The recent shooter in VA Beach had one.  Now the Governor wants to ban them, which is fine, but in reality, the shooter would not have been deterred one iota by not having a silencer. 

The gun shop guy said that law abiding people want them to use for target practice and such as a way to protect their hearing.  Nobody makes hearing protection sufficient to prevent hearing loss from gunfire?  I would think you could use ear plugs plus the ear muff style protection and it would do fine.

I think the legislation to ban silencers and large magazines will pass which is probably a good thing, but it isn't going to stop a maniac from going to work and killing and maiming large numbers of his fellow workers if that is his crazed intent.

I really don't think this has to degrade into a political discussion.  It's just common sense that people who want to keep a gun in their homes for hunting or for home protection do not need a silencer.  Unless I am missing something...   

No, we see this issue the same. Silencers specialize in silencing people.

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Sadly it only takes one gun to cause a kerfluffle, so there is snot a lot we can do when someone wants to become homicidal.  

The great is the enemy of the good. Just because it is a daunting issue, passing smaller measures is better than doing nothing because they won’t eliminate the problem altogether.

41lRSv+SJoL.jpg

About the product
  • DIMENSION: Strap- One Size Fits All, Ball- 1.67in Diameter
  • MATERIAL: Silicone Gag Allows for a Slight Cushion for Biting Good Play
  • COMFORT: Fully Silicone Ball is Used for Total Comfort
  • PRIVACY: Always Shipped in Discrete Packaging
  • 100% GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied for any reason, message the seller and let us know. We will be sure to take care of you.

...what do you think they mean by "We will be sure to take care of you " ?:huh:

• Haha 1

I built a silencer once when I was young.  When I hunted varmints on the farm I'd go out in the winter and look for the rabbits that raided the crops, sometimes hunting by moonlight in the snow.  One shot and they were all gone.  The silencer was created by wrapping chicken wire around the end of the barrel of a 22 rifle, protruding about 6 inches beyond the barrel.  As the shooter, it was very effective in silencing off axis noise.  The loudest sound became the clank of the bolt seating after ejecting the spent casing and loading another round. (semi auto).  I'm not sure how effective it was however because one could hear the echo of the shot coming back from the tree line down range.  I only used it once as it was a very dangerous item.  One bump and the "silencer" could be bent into the path of the round as it exited the muzzle.

I use high quality muffs at an indoor range. No issues when it's just me & other handgun users. When folks bring out an AR or AK, it gets punishing, quickly. Especially if the guy is in the lane next to me. Dunno what the peak dB is, but anything above 140 gets transmitted thru your bones and can be damaging even with muffs and plugs. 

I know quite a few guys with cans. Most have them just to have them. A few shoot varmints, a few shoot close enough to neighbors. 

It's spendy here, prolly $1500 for the first one.