New car

Square Wheels

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

What is the little round thingy in the right front bumper area?  Sensor of some sort?

A hook screws in there for tying down the car for shipping and towing. During dealer prep, they will put a cover over it. Many cars have them now, but you really don't notice them until you look.

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

What is the little round thingy in the right front bumper area?  Sensor of some sort?

It's a camera.  You can set it to display what is on the right or left as you turn on the directional.  Pretty helpful since that part of the car is further out front than muy line of vision.  Also helpful for parking.

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Love the color!

Thanks, me too.  That's why I waited so long.  They had a fair number to pick from that met all of my requirements in stock back in March.  None (in the country) in that color too.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Good point.  So many cars today are black, white, or gray.  Boring as hell. 

Says the guy with two black vehicles.  :D

This, with the occasional blue. I saw that on every BMW lot - conservative and laid back, plus black, white and I believe gray are no cost option. Not the same with their sister product, Mini, which will stock the premium colors on their lot.

I did order my Mini in brown (Chestnut) with black roof with the exact other options I wanted - then went through the waiting game. While you noted shipped in covered carrier from NJ, did you track it from factory build, to port, cross Atlantic, and arrival (probably NY) customs clearance then the regional distributer in NJ?

3 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I did order my Mini in brown (Chestnut) with black roof with the exact other options I wanted - then went through the waiting game. While you noted shipped in covered carrier from NJ, did you track it from factory build, to port, cross Atlantic, and arrival (probably NY) customs clearance then the regional distributer in NJ?

Kinda.  They gave me the ship tracking info, but only worked for the beginning of the transport.  It came straight to NJ, then they refused to release it for about a month because of a recall.  It got fixed this week.  As of Yesterday, it was still at the port.  I think BMW coughed up a few bucks to get this to me, and more importantly, get my money to them.

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I thought it might be a 007-type machine gun.  :D 

I guess I should have all the replies before adding mine!

Anyway, congrats on the long wait almost being over!  I hope SD takes a picture of you smiling like a lunatic when you first drive it!

With Mini, their internal site which wasn't that great lagging several days behind follow the production steps of you car as it is "Born" (their phrasing). Ironically, the factory was in Born, NL. Came across the Atlantic from Zeebrugge, Belgium, with stops in Southampton, St John New Brunswick, NY, Baltimore (takes a full day up the Potomac and a full day sailing out GRRRR) then finally Brunswick GA where the distributor gained possession and transported to Jacksonville, and after a few days transported to Orlando. You are right, with the various shipping traffic sites, you do loose location (unless you pay premium for satellite) as it leaves land based radar. I did pick it up mid Atlantic as it passed near the Azores.

What the British don't recognize The Mini Countryman model change in 2017 was a casualty of Brexit. While the prior model and there was the capacity in the traditional factory in Oxford, the uncertainty of Brexit led BMW to shift it to the Netherlands factory.

5 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

BMW shipped it from NJ in its own enclosed car carrier.  It was not with any other cars.  The sales guy whose been there a while said he's never seen that.

I just went and signed all of the paperwork, ouch, that hurt.  A lot.

I will get it some time next week, the insurance / registration part is a pain.

I got to sit in it, it's really nice.

20190608_144746.jpg

20190608_144755.jpg

Interesting color scheme. ;)

I like it. I'm happy for you.

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If you die running up Mt. Washington and I get your stuff I’ll take good care of your car.  I can learn to like red.  Please make sure to leave the maintenance history in the box.

As of now  there is no history,  it has less than 10 miles on it.

For the record,  it's Sunset Orange Metallic. 

20 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

As of now  there is no history,  it has less than 10 miles on it.

For the record,  it's Sunset Orange Metallic. 

Whatever....  I can learn to like midnight orange metal flake with an overpriced ceramic coating.

For years, when the kids would ask for things, their mother would say "and what does mommy want?", to which they were trained to answer "A Chrysler Sebring convertible, Burgundy with beige leather".  Sometimes it would be "And what do you see in the driveway?".  Each time we bought another vehicle that wan't her convertible, she upped the ante.  By the time they all moved out, we were up to the BMW convertible.  For our 35th anniversary trip in the Keys, I rented that 4 series convertible (in white, it's a rental)  I told her at the time, we could finally afford it, buying during winter would help.  I could put the GTI aside for work it needed.  But no, she balked.

Yet another light and warning beeper on the GTI today.  She's scrambling to get a ride to an appointment.  Been a series of emergency repairs the past month.  Still can't figure out why the battery says a volt more than the computer.  I am NOT buying a convertible in June!  

She would probably love that burnt orange.  You probably hate it.  It's only going to annoy you more until you just send it to me.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, maddmaxx said:

Yea, it's safely off the hauler at the dealership.  It's now in the back room having all the strap marks buffed up so it will be nice and pretty.

Is that where they remove the blinkers for the U.S. Market?

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Vegan leather seats?

Vegan in leather seats.  

It didn't come in cloth.

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not if your gonna rip me off $1500 for As Seen On TV wax!!

I'll pay you to take the car off my hands.

2 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Is that where they remove the blinkers for the U.S. Market?

It's a good thing too, seems my Camry doesn't have blinkers either, at least I haven't found them yet in over 100,000 miles of driving it.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

You cannot get good leather from a vegan.  They are way to thin skinned.

This would be true.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Vegan in leather seats.  

It didn't come in cloth.

My daughter REALLY wanted the options that came with the next level up Subaru, but when she couldn't get cloth instead of leather, no deal.  And it had to be Subaru, because, Subaru.  She's a vegan.

Just now, 12string said:

My daughter REALLY wanted the options that came with the next level up Subaru, but when she couldn't get cloth instead of leather, no deal.  And it had to be Subaru, because, Subaru.  She's a vegan.

Maybe you should explain to he that they don't kill cows to make the seats.  The leather is a by-product of "other's wasteful acts." (she might buy that).  If you make enough burgers there will be some leather for seats.

They do however use the precious crude oil to make the polyester that goes into cloth seats.

#ifonlythetreehuggersunderstood

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I love the look of the Outback.  Went to a dealer to look at them, they were beautiful.  Sat in a few in the showroom.  Several sales people sitting at their desks helping no one.  We were in the showroom for at least 20 minutes.  Then walked around the lot for another 20 minutes.  At the time the wife was considering the Tesla, I was considering the BMW, but the Outback was so much more affordable.  We were talking and seriously thinking of buying a couple.

After being there for 45 minutes, no one bothered to ask if we needed help.  We left.

The next day I walked into the BMW dealer.  A low pressure sales person greeted me on the way in the door, and hour later I was a BMW owner.  Week after we went to the Tesla dealer, same story.

• Heart 1