Going to have to hurt someone today

Chopped Liver

someone just asked me where $4200 difference between two reports is......the reports are dealling with $100 million .  I couldn't care less about a $4200 difference.  Won't change a damned thing in anyone's decision making.

But it could be reflective of inaccuracies in other aspects of the report.  And bean counters will be bean counters - every bean is important.

Why do you think Mr. Liver siphoned it off.  No one will ever notice and when they did ask, he just explained it away as a rounding error.

I saw a television documentary once about these three guys who put a program into the company system to siphon off fractions of pennies from interest and dump them into a special account.  I think one guy goofed on the placing the decimal point in the calculation and the program started writing really big checks.  I think there was a fire at the company and the TPS reports got burned up, so nobody was the wiser.

• Heart 1

I saw a television documentary once about these three guys who put a program into the company system to siphon off fractions of pennies from interest and dump them into a special account.  I think one guy goofed on the placing the decimal point in the calculation and the program started writing really big checks.  I think there was a fire at the company and the TPS reports got burned up, so nobody was the wiser.

I saw that same documentary....man, that one guy had a really  cool stapler. 

• Heart 2

Rounding errors.

Or you can blame it on computers. There's a thing called floating point math errors. Computers don't use a base 10 number system like humans do. Therefore some strange errors can creep in.

For example in old versions of Windows Calculator 3.1 - 3.11 = -9.99999999999979E-03 and not -0.1.

This is still happening today. Here's something from Microsoft Access 2010:

Debug.Print 3.1 - 3.11
-9.99999999999979E-03 

Rounding errors.

Or you can blame it on computers. There's a thing called floating point math errors. Computers don't use a base 10 number system like humans do. Therefore some strange errors can creep in.

For example in old versions of Windows Calculator 3.1 - 3.11 = -9.99999999999979E-03 and not -0.1.

This is still happening today. Here's something from Microsoft Access 2010:

Debug.Print 3.1 - 3.11
-9.99999999999979E-03 

That was/is annoying!