Can't Elope

petitepedal

I have a favorite roadside stand where I get cantaloupes in the summer.  Those sold in the supermarkets are often not ripe enough.

They say a ripe cantaloupe should feel heavy for it's size, have a tan-not-green color, and emit a sweet aroma.

My sister brought an excellent watermelon to our brother's Memorial Day Pool Party and explained how she got it.

She met another woman at a big pile of watermelons in a store. They asked each other how to pick them but neither knew - the only thing I ever heard was not to buy one where the white spot, where the melon had touched the ground while growing, was too white because it indicates being pick too green.

Then an Asian man came up to the pile and began thumping the watermelons, first on the end and then on the side.

When asked he told them that if the side thump sounded the same as the end thump, it meant there was too much rind on the side and it wouldn't be ripe enough.

My sister asked him to pick one for her and it turned out excellent.  Coincidence?

• Heart 1