9 June 2019 miles and such

JerrySTL

Just got back from a 34 mile jaunt. Sunny and mid 80’s. We went NW from home which takes you off the escarpment on the way out. It a good climb coming back but usually you have a tailwind. Not today, 10-15 mph headwind all the way home. We detoured a bit and did the longest climb we have close by. 1.5 miles @ 10-12%.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I just about got squeezed up against a guard rail by a long cattle trailer. This was only my second bike ride this year and I wasn’t wearing my heart rate monitor. The longest, steepest hill on my ride and it has a sharp right turn right where the grade hits 18%. My heart was pounding already when I started up the hill. I made it around the sharp turn and looked at how much of the steep part was left. I decided to stop. I was as close to the guard rail as I could get. Just then a truck with a very long trailer came around the bend. He didn’t swing wide enough so he drove almost off the left side of the road and very slowly watching his mirror passed me with the back of his trailer within inches of me. When I rode down that hill a couple hours before there was zero traffic on that road. I rode the rest of the way home without seeing one vehicle.