Foods that are better to buy than make

Airehead

My sister in law spent lots of time making spaghetti noodles. They were excellent. The fresh ones at Wegmans are also excellent. I am not sure it is worth the time to make plain noodles from scratch. Why do you think?  What else is better to buy?

• Heart 1

phyllo dough.

Croissant

Cheese

puff pastry

lemon curd

elderflower syrup or cordial

yogurt (I am too lazy for this)

pasta noodles (again, too lazy)

Dried fruit

eggs from backyard hens (too much work and mice are a pain in the ass. Population explodes with owning hens.)

There is probably more.  I am growing more lazy by the day.  either lazy or too busy using energy for other purposes.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

phyllo dough. Buy

Croissant. Make!

Cheese. Buy

puff pastry. Make

lemon curd. MAKE!!!!

elderflower syrup or cordial. I am not a hippie

yogurt (I am too lazy for this). Really not a hippie

pasta noodles (again, too lazy). MAKE on special occaisions

Dried fruit. Mmm, No. 

eggs from backyard hens (too much work and mice are a pain in the ass. Population explodes with owning hens.). Pure Hippiism. 

There is probably more.  I am growing more lazy by the day.  either lazy or too busy using energy for other purposes.

I've had fresh pasta in Italy, among other places. Tell ya the truth, I prefer dried. It's chewier. Some dried pasta is better than others, but I'm not fussed. I've bought brass cut from Italy, and the house brand stuff. While I prefer the Italian, I usually get that big American brand. Although these days, it's mostly Pasta Plus to cut down a bit on the carbs.

I bloviate, sorry.

I prefer to let a pro do it, when I can. I'm never going to make real French Onion soup from scratch. I came close once. I worked on it for 2 days. The guests show up, and while I am dealing with them, the wife cranks the heat, simultaneously boiling and ruining the soup.

Honestly, your Honor, it was completely justified.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Several years back I bought a pasta making machine.  Soon after, I was told to limit my pasta intake due to type II diabetes and never used the machine.

Making my own noodles - from selecting the proper flour to mixing and then either extruding or flattening and cutting is a lot of work!

So, when on the rate occasions I eat it, the 1 lb packages of rotini or thin spaghetti are fine with me at an al-dente texture.

Besides snacks that would take a lot of time and energy to try to reproduce like Wise BBQ and Wegman's Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips and Rold Gold Chedder flavored Pretzels as well as various sweet stuff, one dinner food comes immediately to mind as better than homemade and better than the store brands:

Bush's Baked Beans

My brother-in-law comes from Northern Maine where they grow a bean called marifax, the size of the navy beans typically used in commercial baked beans.

When I went to Maine with my brother-in-law to meet his relatives, we worked his cousin's lobster boat for a day and were paid in lobsters and marifax beans. We ate the lobsters in Maine but I returned to Maryland with several pounds of marifax beans and a few different recipes for baking them kindly provided by various relatives of my b-i-l.

I tried those recipes, I tried other recipes, and I tried them with a few other beans including navy beans. Some required using stuff I never used before, including fatback, a hard fat from pigs  They tasted good, but I didn't come close to the taste of Bush's Baked Beans.

So the next time my b-i-l was going to Maine and asked if I wanted more marifax beans, I passed.  He brought them anyway.  I think they're still stored somewhere in my kitchen.  Maybe they're good for chili.

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Eclairs

but make your own cream puffs-- easy and delicious

13 hours ago, Allen said:

BBQ brisket

sushi

oysters

she crab soup

ice cream

oysters?  I am not sure I understand

12 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Pizza

this will make RG groan

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

oysters?  I am not sure I understand

Hard to shuck.

I think, but then I only like them raw. They are crazy expensive now. Same oysters I used to get for $12 are $28 now. No more seconds on a dozen...