So I am attempting to cut down on sugar

Ralphie

I mostly do the cold oat...like "overnight" oats..except it is more like 20 minute..not overnight!!  AnyWho....I use yogurt..plain a little chia or flax a few walnuts cinnamon or nutmeg and fruit..right now strawberries..but also blueberries, raspberries, banana, peach, nectarine.....you can also dice up a date to add sweetness or a little honey...I was using greek yogurt..but now I am using Trader Joe's European Yogurt...it is kinda runny and the oats soak that up...otherwise I was adding a bit of some kind of milk to the mixture....

Good luck with less sugar!...

• Heart 1

Original Cheerios has only 3-4% sugar and I like it with milk alone, though usually adding blueberries or strawberries or bananas.

Kellogg's Corn Flakes has only 5% sugar.

Virtually every other cereal in the typical supermarket cereal aisle is 25% or more sugar, including Protein Cheerios (over 30%) most of the so-called "heathier" muesli-type cereals.

cheerio-nutrition-food-label.thumb.jpg.df01fd78e7ac9109cd7b965016f6c88c.jpg

The %age sugar is NOT listed on the nutrition label: take the listed grams of sugar, multiply it by 100, then divide by the grams listed as "serving size."  So Cheerios has 1 g of sugar and a 28 ounce serving size so 1 x 100% / 28 = 3.57%.  Because there is only 1 digit in the grams of sugar (1 significant figure), we have to round the answer to 1 non-zero digit, so 3.57% must be rounded to 4%.  But, since 1 g is a rounded number that might mean 0.5% or 1.4%, it actually might be 2% to 5% - but no higher than 5%.

But most cereals have 8 or more grams of sugar in a 28 g serving size.

Pop Tarts.jpg

Try artificial sweetener. I use Pyure. Avoid sucralose. Aspartame is a good one for coffee.

Dolcedi is a low glycemic sweetener. Meaning it won't spike your blood sugar, but it's expensive.

One trick I use is to combine a tiny amount of sugar with a tiny amount of Pyure. I put a tiny pinch of both in my tea. Another one would be to take that small pinch and sprinkle it over your oatmeal just before serving.

Figure out your total carb consumption for today. Then cut it by 10%, or 20%. Then do that again in a couple weeks.

Whole grains not only has fewer carbs, but they also have a lower glycemic index. Speaking of that, most premade foods (like box cereal) have an index that's really really bad. Potatoes, which I love, have a lower index if you leave the skin on and don't cook them to death.

Something I've been doing for decades is to take a chromium picolinate pill once a week. It's part of sugar metabolism.

Veggies are all over the map. The kings of the hill are asparagus and cruceiferous veggies

• Arugula
  • Bok choy
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Collard greens
  • Daikon radish
  • Horseradish
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Land cress
  • Mustard greens
  • Radish
  • Rutabaga
  • Shepherd’s purse
  • Turnip
  • Watercress

My wife is my go to person for just about everything.  She once tried to convince me if I can slowly, continuously cut down on sugar, I would find more things sweet.  I have cut down a lot, still a ways to go, but I can't imagine drinking soda every day again, it's too sweet.  Something like Skittles used to appeal to both of us, now I'd probably get sick from the sugar.

Try organic oatmeal.  I know the conspiracies, it's not truly organic, I like to think of it as pesticide light.  I eat Bobs organic gluten free 6 of 7 days a week, I'm eating it right now.  I have not put sugar in it for at least a year, probably longer, it would ruin it.  I put in chia and some type of fruit, usually blueberries or a banana.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I ate oatmeal with just cinnamon & milk for ages.  I can’t choke it down anymore. Every once in a while I’ll eat the lower sugar Maple & Brown Sugar flavor.

@RalphWaldoMooseworth If you don’t mind me asking what’s driving the change?  Cutting added sugar is a good thing, but if it’s a health concern you have to factor foods your body converts to sugar, carbs...

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I ate oatmeal with just cinnamon & milk for ages.  I can’t choke it down anymore. Every once in a while I’ll eat the lower sugar Maple & Brown Sugar flavor.

@RalphWaldoMooseworth If you don’t mind me asking what’s driving the change?  Cutting added sugar is a good thing, but if it’s a health concern you have to factor foods your body converts to sugar, carbs...

I just can't seem to loose the belly.  Got to tighten up the diet. 

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I just can't seem to loose the belly.  Got to tighten up the diet. 

That’s a good place to start then. Also watch what you drink. Lots of hidden calories & sugar in certain drinks.  Other than the occasional beer I don’t drink any calories.

30 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That’s a good place to start then. Also watch what you drink. Lots of hidden calories & sugar in certain drinks.  Other than the occasional beer I don’t drink any calories.

Me neither!  I have made the occasional beer more occasional, but I spose not occasional enough. :(

• Haha 1

The new big thing to lose belly fat they are calling intermittent fasting. I wouldn’t call it fasting at all but it’s hoe I always ate so maybe there is something to it.

The gist of it is to have as many hours after your last meal of the day until your first meal of the next day. They claim 12 hours would be great. Heck if you eat supper at 5pm it’s only 5am 12 hours later. I usually eat around 5pm but this caretaker business has that all messed up. I usually just have black coffee in the morning and lunch around noon.

• Awesome 1

I do intermittent fasting 2 to 3 days a week.  In fasting days I skip breakfast and lunch and then try real hard to eat a normal dinner.  That puts close to 24 hours in between meals a few days a week.  In addition to weight loss it has been shown to improve cholesterol as well HBP.

In my case it has lowered BP from the edge of prehypertension to normal numbers and it has completely changed my appetite.  I can no longer eat a full meal.  I get too full too fast.  No seconds at Thanksgiving - not even a full plate at Thanksgiving.  I also don't have to eat based on the clock.  I can go a whole day and not even think about food.  I am fasting right now.  Monday is a typical day for me.  I never do more that 3 days a week.  I try to do M, W, F but will shift that around based on the social calendar.  I also don't let IF rule my life.  

It's a great thing when you don't live your life based on what your stomach says.  I started this a couple years ago before I even heard about IF.  I just got to thinking that our ancestors only got to eat when they were fortunate enough to kill something of find something.  3 square meals a day has not always been available to our forefathers.