Big weather in Dallas yesterday

jsharr

A line of storms moved through mid afternoon with 70 mph straight line winds.   They lasted for quite a while.  Trees and power lines down everywhere.  Power out to hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses.  We got off lucky at Casa de Jsharr.  I think we had some flashing get blown loose on the side of our chimney, as there was a small amount of water coming in.  Have a small water spot.  Need to get up there and take a look at it this week.

Saw big trees down in our hood, but not as bad as some areas of Dallas.  In Old East Dallas, just east of Downtown, a construction crane blew over onto a multi level apartment complex killing one person and badly injuring 4 others.  The parking garage also collapsed and the pictures look like a bomb went off.

Image result for storm damage dallas

Image result for dallas storm damage

Image result for crane collapse dallas

Several school districts cancelled all summer programs today due to power outages and wind damage.

Many high rise building had windows blown out as the winds above ground level were estimated at 80 or highers, which is tornado strength.  This is a mile or so from my office, which lost power, but did not have any window damage that I know of

Image result for windows blown out dallas

• Sad 3

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Glad you are OK.  We were looking at the radar when the storm was passing over your area, and it looked severe.

It was bordering on tornado strenghth where I was.  I told the family to take cover when the first line of wind hit.  It backed off a bit then and it was apparent it was straight line winds.  We rode it out okay, other than the bit of missing flashing.  

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I'm surprised at all of the broken windows in the bank, you'd again assume, it would have been designed to handle that.

80 mph plus wind, flying debris and swirling winds between buildings.   A lot of the damage was due to flying debris.