The dilemma..

Wilbur

So, I have my last flight with the old boss later this week.  Headed to Milan again for 12 days.   The new company has no business in Italy, (my favourite country) so this may wind down my days of free travel there.  We are using contract pilots to join me so they will airline home immediately and back the day before the homebound leg. 

My options:

1.  Stay in Milan, do some sightseeing, take my bike and do a few rides but miss Fathers Day with the family and my daughters birthday.

2. Jump on an airline and head home for family stuff.

What would you do? 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

So, I have my last flight with the old boss later this week.  Headed to Milan again.   The new company has no business in Italy, (my favourite country) so this may wind down my days of free travel there.  We are using contract pilots to join me so they will airline home immediately and back the day before the homebound leg. 

My options:

1.  Stay in Milan, do some sightseeing, take my bike and do a few rides but miss Fathers Day with the family and my daughters birthday.

What would you do? 

Can you pack the spare plane from the new job and use it to jet home?

25 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Stay there and enjoy what may be your last trip.  The family will save fathers day for you when you get back.

I agree. You don’t have small kids at home or someone that needs constant validation, so you should enjoy where you are. Celebrate Father’s Day when you get back and go for some rides and perv at hot Italian chicks from closer than Canada. Your family isn’t going anywhere, but your semi regular Italian holiday option is being shut down. 

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

3.  Don't ask us.  Ask your family.   :) 

No, this is bad advice. They will ignore your inner-dialogue and scuttle your last visions of the Italian countryside.  

Tell them they should be happy you aren’t moving to Italy without them. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I am, he's leaving me the guitar Alex signed for me.  He's yet to show me a pick of it though.

So what you are really saying is that if he goes before you do, I eventually get the guitar.

#winning

I'm a family is very important type, but I also feel missing one is excusable and your last chance to spend time over there.  I'd also hate flying all the way there, hop on a plane to fly back, only to turn around and hop on another plane to fly back to fly a plane back (I'm assuming you are working the return flight too).  If you aren't working the return flight, bum around for a day or two and then head back.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

So, I have my last flight with the old boss later this week.  Headed to Milan again for 12 days.   The new company has no business in Italy, (my favourite country) so this may wind down my days of free travel there.  We are using contract pilots to join me so they will airline home immediately and back the day before the homebound leg. 

My options:

What would you do? 

I wouldn't miss the family stuff - I'd fly home for it.  At some future point, you can find a cheap tour of Northern Italy.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, wilbur said:

My options:

What would you do? 

Don't listen to Wheels. Family is drab and you're in Milan. Besides, it's only Father's Day and you're a rockstar. Tell them the best thing they could do for you is to give you some 'me' time riding your bike in Italy.

12 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Don't listen to Wheels. Family is drab and you're in Milan. Besides, it's only Father's Day and you're a rockstar. Tell them the best thing they could do for you is to give you some 'me' time riding your bike in Italy.

Listen to Wheels.  He has a small family that isn't close.  It breaks his heart a little more each day.   @wilbur knows what he has, enjoy while you can.

I don't think anyone would know I was gone,  honest.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Listen to Wheels.  He has a small family that isn't close.  It breaks his heart a little more each day.   @wilbur knows what he has, enjoy while you can.

I don't think anyone would know I was gone,  honest.

I don't have anybody but my wife, a aging father, and siblings who failed to launch. When my dad passes I have marginal interest in keeping family ties. So I too won't be missed. And I don't care. If you don't like your family ties, there is time to make up for it. I suspect Wilbur has no making up to do.

Stay.  I have been on the road for lots of different events, including a number of farhers days and wedding anniversaries.  We celebrated when I got back.  Now looking back with a somewhat more normal schedule, we are no worse for wear for me having missed them.

Your family will know your love for Italy and that it is your last free trip.  If you were my spouse, I would want you to stay because it would make you happy

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I’m a big believer in guilt. Stay in Italy and sightsee, but feel guilty about it. 

I agree with Airhead, see if you can get a discounted ticket for wifey at least.

Ask for delay on Father's Day stuff and enjoy Italy for last time for "free" on this job.  Everyone back in Canada can Skype and can wish you happy Father's Day.  Make sure you buy them a few Italian trinkets..

Your children are adults...and if they don't understand why daddy wants to enjoy just a few days tacked on...

(Dearie hasn't flown back expressly for his adult daughter for Father's Day every year. Sometimes she forgets....to wish him well.)

Does your family usually make a big deal out of Father’s Day? My family really doesn’t. I get a phone call from my son in Texas and a phone call from my son in North Carolina. Sometimes my local son brings his family over for a picnic and swim. The Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure always starts on Fathers Day, I do that ride  as often as I can and don’t really notice much difference in the day. If my kids were little and still living at home I wouldn’t take time away from them for myself if I had a chance to be with them. I didn’t start doing week long cycling adventures by myself until my kids were adults.

6 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...have you considered finding some hot, younger Italian babe, marrying her, and starting another family over in Italy ?  

No.  I will not marry again. 

9 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Stay.  I have been on the road for lots of different events, including a number of farhers days and wedding anniversaries.  We celebrated when I got back.  Now looking back with a somewhat more normal schedule, we are no worse for wear for me having missed them.

Your family will know your love for Italy and that it is your last free trip.  If you were my spouse, I would want you to stay because it would make you happy

Likewise.  I have missed many birthdays, anniversaries, Hallmark days and the bigger ones like Christmas.  My daughters still like to spoil me but that can wait.  I will miss my daughters birthday but that isn't a first either.  It also isn't my first trip to Italy.  It might be the last free trip though.  :)  I think our scheduler locked us into the hotel so the decision may already be made. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, wilbur said:

No.  I will not marry again. 

Likewise.  I have missed many birthdays, anniversaries, Hallmark days and the bigger ones like Christmas.  My daughters still like to spoil me but that can wait.  I will miss my daughters birthday but that isn't a first either.  It also isn't my first trip to Italy.  It might be the last free trip though.  :)  I think our scheduler locked us into the hotel so the decision may already be made. 

There you go. Sometimes when you have to make a decision and have a hard time deciding it’s nice when the decision is made for you.

When I was younger and my wife wasn’t employed outside the home it was tough when offered overtime to decide, we needed the money but I wanted to spend the time with my family. That dilemma was solved when I started working at the forge. They had mandatory overtime, they didn’t ask if you wanted to work, they told you that you were working it.