You have to have good shoes to do this job

Road Runner

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

NAILED IT!!!!  I always wondered how those things moved.  Knew it could not be gasoline engines underground.  Now I know!

I don't know how much energy is needed to move the train out of the station since it goes downhill, though clearly it's fairly level in the station.

My uncle, a civil engineer, helped lay out the first lines of the Washington, D.C. subway system. He told me each station was positioned at a higher point than the approaching and departing tracks so that you can store potential energy as the train comes into the station instead of degrading all of it to heat with brakes.  Then you change that stored, potential energy to kinetic (motion) energy as the train goes downhill out of the station.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

My uncle, a civil engineer, helped lay out the first lines of the Washington, D.C. subway system. He told me each station was positioned at a higher point than the approaching and departing tracks so that you can store potential energy as the train comes into the station instead of degrading all of it to heat with brakes.  Then you change that stored, potential energy to kinetic (motion) energy as the train goes downhill out of the station.

We are cyclists!  How would potential and kinetic energy ever be useful to us?!

;)

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1