What was your very first paycheck?

Allen

My first job was self-employed (or partnership). I was 14 and had a 16y/o friend with a truck. We pooled together our resources and had a lawn mowing service. That is where I developed a love/hate relationship Bahia grass. Dulled mower blades like crazy but grew fast and mowed the same yard twice a week. Ka-ching! Then I was a lifeguard, but at the community beach paid by the community and part time. Also in high school, one or twice a year were part of the manpower to fire the groves - sit around waiting for freeze (paid the $25 even if it didn't freeze) then lighting smudge pots and piles of tires (before the EPA stopped the practice). Smelled real good when finished and skipped next day of school since up all night. Finally, senior year of HS first clock punch job - Kwik Check (Winn Dixie) grocery.

• Heart 1

At 14 I earned a "paycheck" from the office installing company I worked for over the summer. Nightly installs started around 5:30 and went to 2am. Way past any child labor laws. I unpacked, set-up, and helped in installing office cubicles in and around the Detroit area. I made $15/hr in 1997/98 cash.

I then got a "real" teenaged job at a pizzeria delivering pizzas for $5.80/hr. I was sure sore when they offered me that rate. I lasted 4 months before I found another under-table position for a mafia run valet company. I would "park" flagged cars from night clubs near some dockyard a few miles away. Then after stuff was loaded into the trunk I would park them in a city car lot another few miles away. I ran probably a half marathon every night I worked as there was no ride back to the club and this was fairly frequent special task I was given. 

I think I was about 18-19 when I actually caught on what I was doing was helping distribute drugs to the dealers in the greater Detroit area. Made great money though.

• Envious 1

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

I think I was about 18-19 when I actually caught on what I was doing was helping distribute drugs to the dealers in the greater Detroit area. Made great money though.

The term is 'mule'.  Typically they use youngsters for this.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

all these character building jobs - my DiL who is graduating this weekend was 27, has never held a job other than internships and grad assistant stuff.  She may be in for a bit of an awakening.  (when she finally gets hired)

I worked with a guy like that years ago.  He told the story of being afraid of 'the real world' as he graduated with his BS degree so the easy thing to do was to go for a masters degree and be a grad assistant.  After he got his MS he still refused to enter the real world and he had not interest at the time in a Phd so he applied to another masters program.  Apparently this went on for years.  He never really wanted to teach, just go to school.  He was in his late 60s when I worked with him and he had like 5 masters degrees in various math and engineering programs and very few years working as a real engineer.  He also had no social skills and while being a generally nice guy he was difficult to work with.

She is now talking about post-doctoral work.  There aren't a lot of jobs for her outside of academia just yet.  Too narrowly focused.

She's not afraid of it, she'll do well.  It's just that circumstances have kept her from ever working at the mall or some other menial task.