Those who can do.. Those who can't teach..

Wilbur

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Canadians must be the only people who are embarrassed by their country's leader on a regular basis.  :whistle:

Yes, we Americans have to settle for horror and terror.

Wanna swap?

• Haha 4

When I read something like the title, I think of some of the folks at Oregon State University that I worked with that had 4-way splits, of research, teaching, extension, and foreign service.  I would never have wanted to be spread that thin.  Takes a special type of person to exist in that environment.

The title speaks of a strange view of teaching.

I chose to teach because I thought of it as a noble profession....and I'm aware of how pompous that sounds but I still think it true today.

My qualifications did mean that I could have earned considerably more in another profession but I chose to teach.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I chose to teach because I thought of it as a noble profession....and I'm aware of how pompous that sounds but I still think it true today.

My qualifications did mean that I could have earned considerably more in another profession but I chose to teach.

I don't disagree, but it is a view held by many.  I hope Wilbur was kidding.

10 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

It is a noble profession.  Both of my parents were teachers.  I turned out like an asshole but they were and are wonderful people and they were passionate about their craft.

It does take a special person to become a teacher.  It requires tolerance, empathy and a whole bunch of extra stuff I inherently suppress.  My parents have those qualities and I seem to lack them.  

Thank you for doing what you did.

Shu Fang

• Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

It is a noble profession.  Both of my parents were teachers.  I turned out like an asshole but they were and are wonderful people and they were passionate about their craft.

It does take a special person to become a teacher.  It requires tolerance, empathy and a whole bunch of extra stuff I inherently suppress.  My parents have those qualities and I seem to lack them.  

Thank you for doing what you did.

Shu Fang

Hey........who am I to disagree with what is an obvious truth. :)

That said, I have met too many teachers who obviously did not like kids. To them, it was a job and outwith the classroom they had little interest in their welfare.

In teaching, technology may have its place, but it is the relationship between the teacher and the taught which is paramount. The most important lessons are those taught by the teacher showing themselves to be a proper human being with good human qualities.

• Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Hey........who am I to disagree with what is an obvious truth. :)

That said, I have met too many teachers who obviously did not like kids. To them, it was a job and outwith the classroom they had little interest in their welfare.

In teaching, technology may have its place, but it is the relationship between the teacher and the taught which paramount. The most important lessons are those taught by the teacher showing themselves to be a proper human being with good human qualities.

Very good point, especially when I think back to my best and my worst teachers.  Hell of a spread.  I think the worst might have meant well but his methods were way off base.  Sort of like some presidents in recent memory.

Firstly guys, it was a joke and an expression that was certainly not coined by me.    For those of you that are unaware, Trudeau was a part time drama teacher and snowboarder.  That and his name  qualified him to fill the top political position in Canada. 

It is also well known he can't think for himself while conveying those thoughts.  He requires the use of a script.  A crappy actor, so he taught.  

My parents were teachers as well and went into the trade thinking it was a noble one.  Neither retained that opinion at retirement.  Such is the profession in Canada. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

chose to teach because I thought of it as a noble profession....and I'm aware of how pompous that sounds but I still think it true today.

Agreed, strongly agree.

I taught at the largest high school in Maryland, after rising to chief chemist of process development for a subidiary of Dow Chemical - which I left because of the too-often contact with carcinogenic chemicales

Our lead physics teacher was a retired Navy commander whose books on navigation were used to in those courses at the U.S. Naval Academy.

One of our math department teachers was recruited by the National Security Agency and another by a High Tech startup.

We had celebrated art teachers, playwrights, and a history teacher who had written a series of children's books published by a major publisher.

Note also that today's high school teachers do NOT major in education alone except for special education: they carry a double-major and must complete major requirements in math, creative writing, etc. except in states like Wisconsin where they've cut the benefits so badly they can't find enough teachers so they drop the college degree requirement.

So I guess you can understand why I'm not pleased when someone claims teachers can't do.  It's a disgusting, hurtful piece of b.s.

8 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

No, not really.  There is a profound difference between teaching and doing.  It doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other.  Satisfaction is just derived through different process.  Many flight instructors become bored with the tedium of a trans-oceanic flight while many pilots would rather eat lead than teach. 

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The saying states the opposite though, it does disparage teachers as being unable to actually "do" what they teach. 

A lot of my family are teachers and I will say for a fact, no, most can't actually do what they teach. 

Are there exceptions, yes, my son had an excellent teacher who spent years in the business world and was highly successful, just burnt out on it and went back into teaching. 

Also just because maybe you can't actually do things, doesn't mean you aren't a good teacher, it takes a certain personality and mindset to effectively be able to get through to people plus you have to have patience.  I suck at teaching people, much better at doing.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

It's a fucking axiom, already!  Either take it as that or let your feelies be hurt but know it is you that is hurting them.  Good gawd people, talk about an over-reaction. 

And one someone on the forum says "you need to apologize" it's sarcasm.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, wilbur said:

Firstly guys, it was a joke and an expression that was certainly not coined by me.    For those of you that are unaware, Trudeau was a part time drama teacher and snowboarder.  That and his name  qualified him to fill the top political position in Canada. 

It is also well known he can't think for himself while conveying those thoughts.  He requires the use of a script.  A crappy actor, so he taught.  

My parents were teachers as well and went into the trade thinking it was a noble one.  Neither retained that opinion at retirement.  Such is the profession in Canada. 

I agree with all of this. 

But I suggest a trade of leaders.   The memes would be fantastic. 

Shu Fang 

• Heart 1

Just now, Shu Fang said:

I agree with all of this. 

But I suggest a trade of leaders.   The memes would be fantastic. 

Shu Fang 

As much as I would prefer Trudeau, that would be a lousy thing to do to a nice country, and a good friend.

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

Not far enough, isn't that part of the moon?  We would have to ask Allen if he wants company first.

4.367 light years.

With current technology, it would take some number of centuries. I've long had this dream of putting a large astronomy suite above the plane of the elliptic of the galaxy. You'd want to get it way up there. You'd want some big ion drive (or something), but to get it up to cruising speed, you'd want to put several large boosters into orbit.And then hook it all together. I don't have specifics, but we are talking serious boost.

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Great teachers should get paid more, mediocre ones should get paid less, I suppose.  Ones with nice boobs ought to get paid the most.  

In my world, Road Sue would be a millionaire.

Indiana went to more of that model where teachers get raises based on performance and stead of strictly seniority based, you know, like us in the real world.  The good teachers I know love it, but it seems most hate it, I think that says a lot about the quality of most teachers here.

19 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indiana went to more of that model where teachers get raises based on performance and stead of strictly seniority based, you know, like us in the real world.  The good teachers I know love it, but it seems most hate it, I think that says a lot about the quality of most teachers here.

Hopefully that performance evaluation is done by an adult(s). Not just the kids.

I will be teaching for a few hrs. later this wk. It is classroom course training and with exercises.  It is slightly stressful to know I will be rated by learners: other employees.  I try not too think much about it.   And all my colleagues, see my total rating for every course I deliver.  We see each other's totals.  There is a standard my boss has set.

I enjoy teaching (corporate training) but this employer is the first one where instructor rating is required. Previous jobs didn't require it. 

Adult training is different because it is more purpose-based rather than just theoretical.  The instructor has to learn how to draw upon student's existing area of expertise to make it a good learning experience.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Hopefully that performance is done by an adult(s). Not just the kids.

I will be teaching for a few hrs. later this wk. It is classroom course training and with exercises.  It is slightly stressful to know I will be rated by learners: other employees.  I try not too think much about it.   And all my colleagues, see my total rating for every course I deliver. 

I enjoy teaching (corporate training) but this employer is the first one where instructor rating is required. Previous jobs didn't require it. 

In elementary, I am pretty sure the kids have no input, doubt highschoolers do either.  My sister in law maxed out in no time (she is dumb as a box of rocks, but she is really good at connecting with kids and teaching them, my wife would agree) with the new raise system and gets performance bonuses every year.