Got ink? Yay or neigh

Longjohn

Womaxx has a very small cat on her ankle to represent surviving cancer the first time.  She has the real rescue cat as well who is devoted to her.  Other than that one, the only tat I liked was on an idiot I knew.  He had a dotted line around his neck with the words "cut here".  I thought it was brilliant.

• Haha 1

I and he are ink-free.  He doesn't like tattoos at all.  

I'm not much into tattoo aesthetics. And tattoo over a large body surface only looks good on young, smooth skin. Try imagine the above gals in their 70's -80's. 

A tattoo will not make me look nor feel sexier/luckier/special.  I have a good luck visual "charm":  it's the whole of me genetically and in body, gifted to me, from my parents.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Crazy, isn’t it!

Indeed. The arthritis pain was immediately gone. I just had to recover from the rather large & rather deep incision.

They had me on my feet with a walker ~2 hrs post op. Up down the hall, up down a flight of stairs. They had me tethered to a PT who was about 5'6" & 110 lbs. I really don't know what she could have done if I started to go down.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Indeed. The arthritis pain was immediately gone. I just had to recover from the rather large & rather deep incision.

They had me on my feet with a walker ~2 hrs post op. Up down the hall, up down a flight of stairs. They had me tethered to a PT who was about 5'6" & 110 lbs. I really don't know what she could have done if I started to go down.

How long ago did you have this done?

i asked the PT the other day what the difference was between hip and shoulder replacements; why with the hip were they so much more aggressive with the recovery and therapy.  She said the hip is a far more stable joint. 

Honestly I feel like they are babying the shoulder, but I don’t want to bust protocol and damage the joint.  I actually forgot twice already and used the left arm to push up with and once I fell over a chair trying to retrieve a pillow and caught myself with that arm.  It lets me know it’s sensitive... 

But yeah, the arthritis pain is gone. ?

I'm pushing 4 years post-op (12/14/15)

The hip is naturally more stable because most of the pressure is making the joint seat and the simple act of walking pushes the ball into the socket. The only PT restriction I had was DO NOT straight leg lift to the rear. Everything else was "as tolerated".

With the shoulder, 1/2 the motion (or more) is separating the ball from the socket. Even at rest the the weight of the arms wants to open up the joint. You wouldn't want to dislodge that titanium spike from your humerus (damn, that hurt just to type it).

FWIW, I had a full release to go back to work in 22 days.

8 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I'm pushing 4 years post-op (12/14/15)

The hip is naturally more stable because most of the pressure is making the joint seat and the simple act of walking pushes the ball into the socket. The only PT restriction I had was DO NOT straight leg lift to the rear. Everything else was "as tolerated".

With the shoulder, 1/2 the motion (or more) is separating the ball from the socket. Even at rest the the weight of the arms wants to open up the joint. You wouldn't want to dislodge that titanium spike from your humerus (damn, that hurt just to type it).

FWIW, I had a full release to go back to work in 22 days.

Yeah, I understand better now how the shoulder socket works.  I might get release to go back to work (from home) next Wednesday, but he already told me that I won’t get full release to go back to work for another 4 weeks. That’s because he won’t release me to drive until then.  

Yeah, that spike it pretty wild:

672FA6B4-FD31-45BB-AD03-3F66A8C79E37.jpeg.68a30777fcd8e0e52ae8a0c4ed6a633b.jpeg

I watched a video of the surgery prior to having mine.  The way the pull the humerus out, cut the head off and the ream the length for that spike to be inserted into, well, it’s pretty amazing.

and the same with the Femur as well.

12 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Yeah, I understand better now how the shoulder socket works.  I might get release to go back to work (from home) next Wednesday, but he already told me that I won’t get full release to go back to work for another 4 weeks. That’s because he won’t release me to drive until then.  

Yeah, that spike it pretty wild:

672FA6B4-FD31-45BB-AD03-3F66A8C79E37.jpeg.68a30777fcd8e0e52ae8a0c4ed6a633b.jpeg

I watched a video of the surgery prior to having mine.  The way the pull the humerus out, cut the head off and the ream the length for that spike to be inserted into, well, it’s pretty amazing.

and the same with the Femur as well.

That's more of a "ball & shallow dish" kind of joint. The range of motion precludes a highly stable joint, lotsa room for error.