Question for Married People or those in a Long Term Relationship

Kirby

When you travel with your spouse or significant other, do you each pack your own suitcase or do you share a suitcase?  This prompted surprisingly heated lunch conversation today.  Someone mentioned that when they travel, he and his wife each pack half their stuff in one suitcase, and then the other half of their stuff in a second suitcase.  That way if one of their suitcases get lost they each have at least some clothes.  This concept prompted a strong negative reaction from most people who said they couldn't imagine sharing a suitcase.

So does anyone share a suitcase when you travel?

We share. When traveling with the kids we usually had one bag for us, one each for the kids.  On our more recent trips we just through our stuff in one bag.

But having said that my wife is pretty low maintenance.  She won’t pack 10 pairs of shoes or numerous outfits for all contingencies.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We just pack whatever fits where. Usually two suitcases and a carry-on if flying. If driving a car we bring even more bags.

If we are driving somewhere that takes an overnight stop, we often pack a small bag for what we need that night and next day. That way we don't have to unload the car.

We pack separately in our own suitcase. Each average about 35 lbs, so fairly even. However, we also pack one kitchen size garbage bag for dirty cloths. On the return, we mix the remaining clean in one suitcase and the plastic bag of laundry goes in the other.

• Heart 3

When I was married, my wife and I packed separately.  The worry over lost luggage never bothered me back when I used to fly frequently for work.  In 20 years of flying, I only had one suitcase that didn't show up, and it was delivered it to my hotel in less than 24 hours.  Maybe I was lucky.  :)

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

When I was married, my wife and I packed separately.  The worry over lost luggage never bothered me back when I used to fly frequently for work.  In 20 years of flying, I only had one suitcase that didn't show up, and it was delivered it to my hotel in less than 24 hours.  Maybe I was lucky.  :)

You never flew into Greenville. We were prepared to rob you blind again.  :)

• Sad 2

If we can take only one case we will share, but if we take two, each gets their own.  She figures if hers gets lost she can buy all new, and if mine gets lost she can pick out new stuff for me.  (And I am guessing replacing my 'Gumby' tshirt is not at the top of her list.  She looks at it as a win-win for her

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

If we can take only one case we will share, but if we take two, each gets their own.  She figures if hers gets lost she can buy all new, and if mine gets lost she can pick out new stuff for me.  (And I am guessing replacing my 'Gumby' tshirt is not at the top of her list.  She looks at it as a win-win for her

I have a favorite hoodie that is tattered & worn but oh so awesome that my wife has been trying to get rid of for years.  I literally hide it from her so she can’t toss it.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So is Greenville Mayberry or east St. Louis?

From my one night in Greenville back in 1983, it was no Mayberry.  Unless, of course, Gomer and Goober were supplementing their income from Wally's garage by breaking into cars in the middle of the night.  :(

• Sad 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

From my one night in Greenville back in 1983, it was no Mayberry.  Unless, of course, Gomer and Goober were supplementing their income from Wally's garage by breaking into cars in the middle of the night.

Probably Ernest T Bass.  Was a brick involved?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

From my one night in Greenville back in 1983, it was no Mayberry.  Unless, of course, Gomer and Goober were supplementing their income from Wally's garage by breaking into cars in the middle of the night.

You so enjoy stabbing me with this knife.   :(

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

When you travel with your spouse or significant other, do you each pack your own suitcase or do you share a suitcase?  This prompted surprisingly heated lunch conversation today.  Someone mentioned that when they travel, he and his wife each pack half their stuff in one suitcase, and then the other half of their stuff in a second suitcase.  That way if one of their suitcases get lost they each have at least some clothes.  This concept prompted a strong negative reaction from most people who said they couldn't imagine sharing a suitcase.

So does anyone share a suitcase when you travel?

Sharing a suitcase is all kinds of wrong.  I must admit that the strategy of having some clothes if the airline loses only one bag lowers overall risk, but you would necessarily have to split your toiletries, too.

Still wrong.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

As the Greenville civic booster it is your cross to bare. 

I offered to replace ALL Christmas presents that were allegedly stolen and 2 years ago I offered to buy a Snapper Comet. RR prefers to be hateful toward my Greenville.    :(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I offered to replace ALL Christmas presents that were allegedly stolen and 2 years ago I offered to buy a Snapper Comet. RR prefers to be hateful toward my Greenville.    :(

I will never mention this unfortunate incident again.

But I mean, come on, what kind of people steal children's Christmas presents?  :angry:  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The big reason we don't pack in the same suitcase...two or three days before the trip, she is packed. Me? We leave in an hour. Guess I ought to pack. One thing that does expedite it is having a separate shaving kit ready to go. Grab it and done, just remember to check if travel size stuff was used up on last trip and re-stock a day or so before.

Depends on how long we are going to be gone.  If not long, just one bag.  Longer we do two with each our own.  The half in each is kind of smart, but would also being annoying trying to remember what's in what bag.