What should lunch cost?

Randomguy

If I go to the LGS $1.50 for a taco maybe $4 for a chicken breast and jojo's  Mostly, I bring my own, today was a salad with 3 deli slices of Turkey, other days I nuke leftovers...mmmm pizza one day..yeah it is better heated in an oven but hey...this is lunch. I have enough of tonight's dinner to heat up for lunch tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

My lunch from a good restaurant cost $3.89 today.  A coworker told me of an app where you buy lunches in advance at a reduced rate from bunches of restaurants.  I registered to fully check it out, but didn't buy, that was last week.   This week I got an email that said "Save $40", so I bought.  12 lunches in the next 30 days for $3.89/ea.  You only get take out, btw.

Today's choice was a cuban restaurant that I deemed too expensive to buy from, lunches normally run about $15 there.  Some breaded chicken thing over beans and rice and fried plantains.  It was good, and a lot of food. 

Next month it goes to the normal price of $6.39 a meal, but that is still better than paying much more.  Not sure if I will continue, but this was too good to pass up.

Food is cheap in the US.. 

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

My lunch from a good restaurant cost $3.89 today.  A coworker told me of an app where you buy lunches in advance at a reduced rate from bunches of restaurants.  I registered to fully check it out, but didn't buy, that was last week.   This week I got an email that said "Save $40", so I bought.  12 lunches in the next 30 days for $3.89/ea.  You only get take out, btw.

Today's choice was a cuban restaurant that I deemed too expensive to buy from, lunches normally run about $15 there.  Some breaded chicken thing over beans and rice and fried plantains.  It was good, and a lot of food. 

Next month it goes to the normal price of $6.39 a meal, but that is still better than paying much more.  Not sure if I will continue, but this was too good to pass up.

Hope it's healthy for you, RG.  If I eat out too often consecutively, I gain weight.

Lunch at home with Ramen noodles ($0.16) plus an ounce of frozen mixed veggies ($0.07) plus a 16.9 oz. Lipton Peach Ice Tea ($0.42): $0.65

Lunch at home/work from frozen dinners: $0.99 - $2.99 + brought-from-home beverage ($0 to $0.65)

Lunch at work sending out to McD's, sub shop, etc. $4.99 - $7.99

Lunch at a local lower-priced restaurant: $9.99-$15.99

Lunch when you're taking an important business person from another company: $29.99 or more (in my experience, almost ALL out-of-state people wanted to experience a cheap Baltimore Crabhouse instead of the $60-$150/plate restaurants!)

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Do you get any choice in the meal?  Do you get to choose among the restaurants, or is there only one restaurant each day with the specially priced item?  That sounds like a good way to try some restaurants and see what you think.

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Do you get any choice in the meal?  Do you get to choose among the restaurants, or is there only one restaurant each day with the specially priced item?  That sounds like a good way to try some restaurants and see what you think.

There are probably 30-40 restaurants within a five minute walk of the office, and they have pretty much only one option at each restaurant.  It took me about five minutes to go through the options online. 

Today I had a pretty good salad.  It had avocado in it, but I toughed it out and it wasn’t so annoying. Otherwise, chicken, black bean and some other stuff.  I am hungry now, though. 

22 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Dang it!  Penn station is the center because it is where all we jerseyites surface. :D

I know, that was convenient to all the out of town riff-raff.  

I can get out and about after I really catch a stride, though.  I was out today at the Helmsley Building in a lawyers office with a cabling dude we use.  It is obscene how big everyone's office was.  Give me a couple of months and I will be out in the world several days a week.