Wanna make money? Be a pharmaceutical company that treats cancer.

Randomguy

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

And those spensive drugs work so well :whistle:

Neulasta does.  It's a relatively new drug that regenerates white blood cells that one's chemo is so busy killing off.  Before the drug is was necessary to stop chemo until the body recovered thus lessening the effects of the chemo.  The asking price is about 5k per shot and womaxx got one every two weeks on the kill you one week and try to keep you alive the other schedule.  Should it be so expensive.....I don't know.  Unlike things like the insulin and eppie pen price scams it's price has always been that high.  Without it you probably die.  With it you have a chance.  Short of having a forensic accountant look over the companies books I don't have an answer.

I am going to listen to my DiL's dissertation Saturday so I can understand maybe 3 words that she says.  But as she has explained it as dumbed down as possible for me, her research (others are doing similar work) is about understanding the proteins in the cancer cells, how they act and interact, with an ultimate goal of treating cancer on a cellular level, rather than the current kill 'em all approach.  It's many years away, but I think the "cure" for cancer will ultimately not be some kind of traditional method.  More of a genetic approach.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I think the "cure" for cancer will ultimately not be some kind of traditional method.  More of a genetic approach.

And immune modulation, with the body's own immune system killing off the cancer cells as foreign.

A pharmaceutical company has a narrow window of opportunity for sales after all their research is done, it's ready for the market and when their patent expires allowing generics to come to the market. So sales is relatively meaningless if costs aren't subtracted out. 

I don't know why psychotropic medications aren't on that list.

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And immune modulation, with the body's own immune system killing off the cancer cells as foreign.

A pharmaceutical company has a narrow window of opportunity for sales after all their research is done, it's ready for the market and when their patent expires allowing generics to come to the market. So sales is relatively meaningless if costs aren't subtracted out. 

I don't know why psychotropic medications aren't on that list.

I'd buy more of this if I didn't know that those same companies are busy making very small adjustments to the formula so they can get another patent and maintain their monopoly.

As I stated above though I have little use for those who market eppi-pens who made a change to the plastic injector and raised the price by more than 300%.  The latest crisis in price fixing and price hikes in the medical industry is using excuses for robbery.

18 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Let's not forget about the celebrities who make millions on advertising for drug companies ? Those commercials piss me off.

Those commercials are directly responsible for the bulk of the increase in drug costs.  Not to mention overuse of drugs.  One of the WORST rule changes ever.

• Heart 1

Just now, 12string said:

Those commercials are directly responsible for the bulk of the increase in drug costs.  Not to mention overuse of drugs.  One of the WORST rule changes ever.

Agree. People see those commercials and think, :scratchhead: I feel like that. I'll ask my doc to put me on that pill.

22 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Agree. People see those commercials and think, :scratchhead: I feel like that. I'll ask my doc to put me on that pill.

And it reinforces the notion that any problem can be solved with a little pill.  It's worth any cost to be like those happy people.

• Heart 1

Some of those chemo drugs cure cancer, but many of them a given solely to extend life for a short period.

My mother's 9 months of chemotherapy, etc. cost her about $20,000 in copays and probably around $1,000,000 in insurance-paid costs: I sat down with the hospital accountant to reduce my mother's estate's final bill from $12,000 to $5,300 and saw all the costs.

Without chemotherapy, she may have died in 3 months instead of 9.

It's hard to put a price on 6 months of semi-pain-free life, but if I was in the same position and could die in 3 months while leaving my family $1,000,000, I'd rather leave them the money to enjoy far more than I would for 6 months.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'd buy more of this if I didn't know that those same companies are busy making very small adjustments to the formula so they can get another patent and maintain their monopoly.

As I stated above though I have little use for those who market eppi-pens who made a change to the plastic injector and raised the price by more than 300%.  The latest crisis in price fixing and price hikes in the medical industry is using excuses for robbery.

I agree. Although one is business, the other fraud and cases have been prosecuted.