So do you bastards think I can replace a switch in a lamp?

Ralphie

We have my wife’s Grandmothers lamps that are probably 60 years old.  One of the switches recently  went out so we took it to a local lamp shop and they replaced the switch for $25.  It seemed reasonable enough so went ahead and took the other one in.

47 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Do they sell lamp guts?  Hopefully universal ones?

Depends on the lamp.  If the switch is part of the bulb-socket assembly it may be tricky to find a switch/socket where are the positions match up with the lamp, though it may be possible since there are some fairly standard ones.

2 hours ago, wilbur said:

I don't know about that! 

Larry the cable guy said he installed a clapper on his bedroom light but it was too sensitive, a loud fart in the night would turn the light on.

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Do they sell lamp guts?  Hopefully universal ones?

Even the big box stores have lamp guts but if you have  a hardware store close by I would go there first. When my father in law was having trouble gripping the switch on his lamp I converted it to a touch lamp for him. It worked very well for him his last couple years. The touch feature quit working after he passed away but the regular switch still worked so I didn’t bother to replace the touch guts.

Well..it might have helped that mine is a vintage/almost antique lamp and had the guts replaced once before.....does your cord come out of the side of the lamp (It should..even my old lamp did.) you may have to take the felt pad off the bottom of the lamp to feed the wire to the thingy that holds the bulb (sorry about using technical terms)..:D  connect (an do a good job here..or you could experience...sparks :whistle: )   make sure all is snug put a bulb in and plug it in  presto!!!

Make sure you use the right guts????  Is it a 3 way light?

4 hours ago, Tizeye said:

First step...plug the cord in and grab the other side to make sure getting power. Hate to go through all that work replacing sockets and switches only to find out that the cord is defective. You can thank me later.

I had a couple of newbies in my gang in the Navy.  Every now and then one of them would get into some serious power supply repair without first checking the line fuse.  We'd usually let them go for a day or so before asking.  It was always a good lesson.

• Sad 1