The bike shed progress, June 11

smudge

Looking good!

This is the first year in over a decade I have no connective tissue problems (ankle, tendons, hip, etc.) and I'm finally getting into good enough shape where I can do a lot of work without my back muscles, etc. hurting or cramping up.  So I have a shed and a raised-bed garden projects to do, hopefully this summer or early fall. At worse, I want everything planned including materials so I can do it next spring.

I have a level, 11' x 12' cement slab, about 5" thick in the corner of my yard that was created when a neighbor had cement poured for a two-car parking area and the truck had leftover cement. The existing shed elsewhere in the yard was built in the 70's with wood scraps by my dad and is falling apart.  I've got enough experience in similar projects I should be able to do it if my good-luck with muscles, bones, and tendons hold up.

I'm going to leave a couple feet open at the back and side where my neighbor's fences are so I can get to that area if I need to, so that leaves about a 9'x10' shed.

I like this simple, space-maximizing design: http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/board-and-batten_shed_page1_4_06.html

It's a 7' x 8' shed, 5'6" at the edge and 9' at the top, but I'm capable of adjusting the length. width and height to my desired size and the excellent detail of how to join everything together works fine. If the board outsides don't hold up, they;re easy to cheaply shingle. I'll probably include a few windows on the sides that are two small for a thief to crawl through. Multiplying everything by 25% would be 8.75' x 10' with 6.9' at the edge and 11.25' at the top, which would not require unusual-sized lumber and is just about perfect for me:

image.png.d21863f8f840ad6e8da5a38f070c1c47.png

There are lots of online step-by-step instructions for sheds. Here's part of one from Black & Decker where the website of it is down now, but which I copied and pasted to a doc file, and it has great detail about the metal plates available that make joining  wood together simpler that I otherwise wouldn't be aware of:

image.png.333df393e3c7075e8d9d7b965e1b136c.png

image.png.0ff58333cf9114c54dba92797bab5f00.png

I also considered this one (http://mystorageshed.blogspot.com/2007/05/blog-post.html), to make constructing/shingling the roof easier, but finally decided not to sacrifice the outer, upper wall as this design does:

image.png.12fecf98504f5c1fa40c4a61beeea024.pngimage.png.16406d7c24c6a86bc8f3bcaecbd24ef6.png

I also considered something along the lines of these combination open area/enclosed sheds but, with my limited space, I'd be putting the shed against the neighbor's fences and that would cut down the total enclosed storage area and make it impossible to get to weeds, etc., so it was an awful idea for me:

image.png.c041dbbc99fe0fc171e9a5d6f5ede906.pngimage.png.a854faff317f7fc2bffb31b44f58e616.png

image.png

38 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Looking good!

This is the first year in over a decade I have no connective tissue problems (ankle, tendons, hip, etc.) and I'm finally getting into good enough shape where I can do a lot of work without my back muscles, etc. hurting or cramping up.  So I have a shed and a raised-bed garden projects to do, hopefully this summer or early fall. At worse, I want everything planned including materials so I can do it next spring.

I have a level, 11' x 12' cement slab, about 5" thick in the corner of my yard that was created when a neighbor had cement poured for a two-car parking area and the truck had leftover cement. The existing shed elsewhere in the yard was built in the 70's with wood scraps by my dad and is falling apart.  I've got enough experience in similar projects I should be able to do it if my good-luck with muscles, bones, and tendons hold up.

I'm going to leave a couple feet open at the back and side where my neighbor's fences are so I can get to that area if I need to, so that leaves about a 9'x10' shed.

I like this simple, space-maximizing design: http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/board-and-batten_shed_page1_4_06.html

It's a 7' x 8' shed, 5'6" at the edge and 9' at the top, but I'm capable of adjusting the length. width and height to my desired size and the excellent detail of how to join everything together works fine. If the board outsides don't hold up, they;re easy to cheaply shingle. I'll probably include a few windows on the sides that are two small for a thief to crawl through. Multiplying everything by 25% would be 8.75' x 10' with 6.9' at the edge and 11.25' at the top, which would not require unusual-sized lumber and is just about perfect for me:

There are lots of online step-by-step instructions for sheds. Here's part of one from Black & Decker where the website of it is down now, but which I copied and pasted to a doc file, and it has great detail about the metal plates available that make joining  wood together simpler that I otherwise wouldn't be aware of:

I also considered this one (http://mystorageshed.blogspot.com/2007/05/blog-post.html), to make constructing/shingling the roof easier, but finally decided not to sacrifice the outer, upper wall as this design does:

image.png.12fecf98504f5c1fa40c4a61beeea024.pngimage.png.16406d7c24c6a86bc8f3bcaecbd24ef6.png

I also considered something along the lines of these combination open area/enclosed sheds but, with my limited space, I'd be putting the shed against the neighbor's fences and that would cut down the total enclosed storage area and make it impossible to get to weeds, etc., so it was an awful idea for me:

image.png.c041dbbc99fe0fc171e9a5d6f5ede906.pngimage.png.a854faff317f7fc2bffb31b44f58e616.png

image.png

Are your nephews old enough/skilled enough to help you? Might be a fun family project.

53 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Nice shed.  Is there a purpose for the gap on the porch flooring or will you rip a board to fit in there?

Exactly!  ?

We knew we would have to make one odd piece, so HoSmudge said to put one last full piece on the end. I noticed the measurement for the partial piece was going to be odd (different on each end), so I flipped that last board over. Once I did that, the warped/curved side of the full board was facing out, and now we basically need a 5/4  2x4 in the empty spot! Ha! He's going to rip the final 5/4 to 3 1/2" and then route the long edge so it's rounded like the other 5/4 boards.  Then I'll plop it in there and that little project will be done. There are many little projects to this project!!   But it's fun.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

and a chair for taking a load off :) 

Ha! Ya. That's an ancient steel chair that has been at camp forever. Sometimes I use it for a little break, sometimes I use it for a shelf. Today I used it for a prop. That area is where I'll put a built in bench.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Looking good!

image.png

You have a concrete slab 11' x 12' x 5" thick? It was left over?? That's a helluvalotta leftover concrete. Whew! Why does no one ever have that much leftover concrete when I'm around??!!  Ha!

Do you have someone with building experience to help you with this project? It may seem quite straight-forward, but there are always teeny little things that make you stop and wonder how the heck you're going to get that part done.   AND IT'S GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE!!  don't ask me how I know... ugh.....

11 minutes ago, smudge said:

Exactly!  ?

We knew we would have to make one odd piece, so HoSmudge said to put one last full piece on the end. I noticed the measurement for the partial piece was going to be odd (different on each end), so I flipped that last board over. Once I did that, the warped/curved side of the full board was facing out, and now we basically need a 5/4  2x4 in the empty spot! Ha! He's going to rip the final 5/4 to 3 1/2" and then route the long edge so it's rounded like the other 5/4 boards.  Then I'll plop it in there and that little project will be done. There are many little projects to this project!!   

So we can put the posts in for the full length rifle rest.  Please call before stopping by.

But it's fun.

FIFY

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:07 PM, donkpow said:

The gambrel roof design is good because it provides more usable space.

Good point, but if I make the walls straight for as high as I want to put almost all the stuff, I wont need the gambrel.

The gambrel roof originally came into fashion in Holland when there was a tax for having a 2nd full floor on a house - the gambrel roof let them sneak an almost full floor in.

• Awesome 1