So asked to present again..on the fly

shootingstar

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

For whatever reason, my boss seems to now put me on large group meeting agendas to present.  I have no clue what I'm supposed to present tomorrow. Hopefully there's time to meet her today.

When I belonged to the Jaycees (whose mission is to develop leadership skills in those 35 and under) they had a program called "Speak Up" that gave you experience in speaking on the fly at large gatherings.  At multi-chapter meetings, those in the program would be given a topic 30 seconds ahead of time on which to give 5 minute speech. The topic might be "Explain the meaning of the last line of the Jaycee Creed: 'Service to humanity is the best work of life'," or it might be, "Tell us what you would do in a weekend Ocean City hotel room with a woman with no arms and legs."

Always good to start with humor. Tell them you were asked to present on the fly...but couldn't find a fly large enough to present on. Besides, if you you did find one large enough, it would terrify the audience.  Sorry to let them down but will do the best you can without the fly.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Always good to start with humor. Tell them you were asked to present on the fly...but couldn't find a fly large enough to present on. Besides, if you you did find one large enough, it would terrify the audience.  Sorry to let them down but will do the best you can without the fly.

I'm a lousy jokester. If you can believe it, I worry walking up to the podium and wonder if I will trip in my dress shoes.

Am presenting to 35+ people.  Am actually on agenda twice to speak on 2 different subjects.  1 of the presentations, I spent several hrs. 2 wks. ago..wondered if I was planning early.  Thank god, finished that one ages ago before this 2nd topic was suddenly dumped on me. 

Then immediately after this meeting, must be at a scrum meeting which I will cut short (during my lunch) to run over to another floor to set up laptop computers for some learners and for a 2 hr. course I will be teaching.  Will gulp down some coffee for lunch.  These are courses where instructors are rated by learners.

I work in govn't.  Tomorrow will buzz into work just after 6:00 am to log into these computers and hope the enterprise software updates didn't overwrite our custom software settings for a module.