Those naughty Americans in the world cup

maddmaxx

They beat Thailand 13 to 0 yesterday in the Women's world cup in France.  You'd think they shot a baby.  There are people who believe that they should have backed off on the scoring and not celebrated the goals when they scored them.  I've heard stories about parents complaining that their children were watching this shocking lack of sportsmanship.

Folks, it's the world cup for professional players.  It's not an under 8 game at the local pitch and not everyone is going to get a trophy for participating.  These players work hard and train all year round to represent their country.  They get paid for it.

Poor sports and bad representatives of the game.

Grow up and get real.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, late said:

Does anyone know if blowouts are common in soccer culture, or if there is an unspoken rule that says play nice?

apparently the US Women set the record for the highest world cup score ever yesterday.  Prior to that it was 10-1 Hungary over El Salvador in 1982 in a men's game.

1 minute ago, TrentonMakes said:

Overall goal differential is important.  This should be a non-issue.

This is true.  There are 4 teams in each group and two move forward into the next round.  Sweden, the team in the group that is expected to move on with the US had the next game against Thailand.  If Sweden were to beat Thailand by more than the US did then they might have an advantage in a tie breaker later.

Blowouts happen sometimes.  Witness the Australian 31-0 win over American Samoa in a world cup qualifier in 2001.  Not all countries have the same level of professional team funding  or league sources for player training.  Yesterday's game was only 3 to nothing at halftime.  There was a stretch in the second half where the Thai players looked like they were painted onto the field.  They were the 39th ranked women's team in the world and the US is #1.  There is still a bigger difference between the top and the bottom in women's soccer than in men's.

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They were the 39th ranked women's team in the world and the US is #1.  There is still a bigger difference between the top and the bottom in women's soccer than in men's.

My first thought when I saw the 13-0 against Thailand was that the US team DID hold back.

I personally would have done less celebrating after about 6 goals, but I'm not playing in the World Cup

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

I personally would have done less celebrating after about 6 goals, but I'm not playing in the World Cup

This.

Yes point differential matters but you knew you were blowing them out on purpose so tone down the celebrating.