So I splurged big-time!

Ralphie

i got a pair of Hoka One Ones for my not wild sister as a gift when she was having some foot problems.  They were highly recommended by my friend's orthopedic surgeon when she had similar foot issues.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

i got a pair of Hoka One Ones for my not wild sister as a gift when she was having some foot problems.  They were highly recommended by my friend's orthopedic surgeon when she had similar foot issues.

And for your wild sister?  Something like this?

Image result for stripper boots

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I love the Hokas even though they are ugly.  I dont care about that too much

This was a very tough decision because the New Balance looked and felt great. But in the end I took the recommendations here from further and zealot, plus the big difference in heel strike.  After the two and a half mile road test,  my feets still feel great!  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Going oot to walk Ruby in my new Hoka One Ones. Sort of like driving a tack with a sledge hammer, but I dood it!  Tried on 4 brands at the spensive running shew store, and surprisingly, New Balance was the runner up, followed by Mizunos and Brooks. I thought New Balance was going downscale, so therefore the surprise. 

The Hoka felt best in the heel and the New Balance felt best in the toe. The Brooks were tightish in the toe,  The selling point was how the heelstrike feels, it rolls instead of jars like all the others.

The road test report in a while.

signed,

Ralph the accidental big spender.  :D

Back in the '80's through '02 when I coached high school track or cross country, I recommended New Balance to my athletes: they were a better quality bang-for-the-buck and they came in widths where Nike, etc. did not.  I like the NB pair I have now - and they are great in the toe, though I use them for walking or cycling instead of running.

A year ago, I was walking in a park and a guy I crossed paths with asked, "What kind of shoes are you wearing?"

I answered, "New Balance Borakay." I love the green color (below, left) and they are very comfortable to wear. When I pushed myself to get in shape for my Aug. '17 Caribbean Cruise after my June '17 major shoulder operation, I wore them while walking miles around Chichen Itza on the Yucatan or on Grand Cayman Island, etc. and my feet were never sore. When I wear a green tee-shirt with them while shopping, the young women cashiers will often ask, "Where did you find those great shoes to match your shirt?"

I asked the guy with whom I crossed paths what he was wearing and he answered "Hoka One Ones, Cavu model." (below, right).

I had never heard of Hoka One Ones so I had to look them up online.  They were $110, out my price range.  The New Balance shoes listed for around $75 but I got them for around $45 on an Amazon Prime Day sale.  This year's Prime Day is predicted to be somewhere around July 16-18 and run for at least 36 hours.  Maybe Hoka One Ones will be on sale!  If so, I'll get a pair.

91ZT2kVCRkL._UX575_.jpg.31e10866d902e0851f45a17053243d2f.jpg860497383_HokaOneOneCavu110list.JPG.3d8749348e188aa0822c666e0c038fd5.JPG

7 minutes ago, Further said:

My feet are very boney, all the tissue from the bottom has gone away, I'm willing to spend money to be able to continue running.

Although I have not been running lately....:dontknow:

That's ok.  Walking is better..

BTW, for those of youse who have seen Schitt'$ Creek, I feel like Bob while walking in the Hokas.  Puts a spring in your step. :D

Ok, my feet had a delayed reaction last night, and started complaining that I overdid it!  I have a little bit of buyers remorse after spending theee times what I normally do for shoes, but it is early yet. I am not used to luxury goods so I always wonder if there really is enough difference to justify the cost. I guess I am just a skeptic!

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

What size do you wear? I wear 14s which a lot of places carry but I need 4E width which puts me out of buisness. I buy ASICS online.

Oh, I didn't realize what brain meant! :D  Sometimes I am a little slow, as lily Allen says. :D

I got moved up to a size 10 normal width since he measured the right foot at 9-1/2 and the left at 9. It is snice to have room in the shoe, and it is still a snug fit, no movement inside. This alone was worth buying it locally because I always just get 9-1/2 when left to my own devices. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

What size do you wear? I wear 14s which a lot of places carry but I need 4E width which puts me out of buisness. I buy ASICS online.

16D.  The big/tall stores don't have a great selection to begin with, then a lot of what they have in a 16 is too wide.

My current pair of "running shoes" (in which I rarely run) are Asics and I like them, but I've worn more New Balances over the years.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

16D.  The big/tall stores don't have a great selection to begin with, then a lot of what they have in a 16 is too wide.

My current pair of "running shoes" (in which I rarely run) are Asics and I like them, but I've worn more New Balances over the years.

I bought Asics for running and they fit so well that I bought another pair just for everyday wear.

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ok, my feet had a delayed reaction last night, and started complaining that I overdid it!  I have a little bit of buyers remorse after spending theee times what I normally do for shoes, but it is early yet. I am not used to luxury goods so I always wonder if there really is enough difference to justify the cost. I guess I am just a skeptic!

Septic is for the blisters.

• 2 weeks later...