Who needs clean clothes anyway?

TrentonMakes

Washing machine's been getting noisier and noisier.  The sound changed the other day and it decided to stop spinning, and we found some rubbery-sandy-type crud inside the tub after the last load came out.

Disassembly of a washing machine is pretty easy, until you get down to the 1-11/16" nut holding the tub onto the drive spindle.

I need the stupid wrench, don't I?  Even with this I'm sure I'll end up banging on it with a hammer.

TB123A Compatible (GE Washer Only) HD Tub Nut Spanner Wrench/Tool OEM# WX5X1325, WX05X1325

I hate spending even $13 on such a specialized tool I'm unlikely to ever use again, with no guarantees that I'll be able to diagnose the problem anyway.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

channellock-all-trades-tongue-groove-pli

I have two of those, one with curved teeth and one with straight.  I can't clamp the levers together tightly enough with my hands to keep them from spreading as I hit it with the hammer.

I bet my BFH isn't BF enough..... that must be the problem.

I'm hesitant to spray this nut with WD-40 but I suppose I should be able to scrub it clean if my some miracle I can fix the problem.

My guess is that ultimately "fixing the problem" is going to involve a trip to the New Appliance Store.

• Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My washing machine peed on the floor about a year ago. A few hours later I had the new machine running. How old is your machine?

5 or 6 years, I think.  Surely it's past the point of professional repair (probably $200 minimum to come out and work on what was probably a $500 machine).  

12 hours ago, Further said:

Put a hose clamp on the handles

This was a great suggestion - and I actually had a hose clamp the perfect length.  Still didn't work though - the jaws still managed to work their way off the nut.

I'm thinking of reliving my college days this weekend.... showing up at my parents' house with a pile of laundry.  

When my washer wet the floor it was at least ten years old. I usually buy Whirlpool. I stopped at Lowe’s or Home Depot (I always get those two stores mixed up) and they had a Roper (made by Whirlpool) on sale for $199. I slid it in my Pilot and stopped at u-Haul and picked up a dolly on the way home. Wheeled the old washer out and the new one in and finished my laundry. Easy peasy.returned the dolly within the hour.