Froome (spoiler)

sheep_herder

17 minutes ago, Airehead said:

racing is dangerous.  this is sad but also a little weird that in winds which were described as gusty here and wicked somewhere else, he took his hands off the bar.

I was surprised to read he had taken his hands off the bars. A moment of inattention ....

54 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I was surprised to read he had taken his hands off the bars. A moment of inattention ....

I feel like a pro cyclist can probably take his hands off the bars for 20 minutes and still control the bike.  But clearly he got careless and I'm sure his team is (1) genuinely worried for his health and well-being, and (2) pissed off that their chances are damaged by something stupid.

I hope he recovers quickly.  No Froome, no Sherwen..... lots of changes this year.  (I got excited when I saw a TdF spot during the hockey game last night)

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Seriously, my worse crash came when I took my hands off the bars to wipe sweat from my face and head and I hit a small pothole in the road.  I do not do that anymore.  If I take my hands off the bars, I keep a keen eye on the road in front of me.  

Froome must have had complete confidence in his ability to control his bike in the conditions he was in.  Unfortunately, one slight miscalculation or sudden change in the conditions or surroundings at speed with almost no body protection can be disastrous.  Riding a bicycle is inherently dangerous, even for us amateurs.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm an amateur but can do a one-handed snot-rocket without crashing. Heck I've even planted a snot-rocket on a dog who was chasing me once. 

At 40 mph with serious cross winds on a time trial bike on a descent?  Asking for a friend.

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm an amateur but can do a one-handed snot-rocket without crashing. Heck I've even planted a snot-rocket on a dog who was chasing me once. 

I thought about that too.  I'm not sure why you would need to use both hands to blow your nose.  :scratchhead:

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Because they use miles for their road distance and hours for their time measurements.

Live and learn.  I never drove while in England, so I never really looked at the speed limit, just assumed kilometers since gas is sold by the litre, etc.  Never been to France.  I am a myopic Texican.

38 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Froome’s never been known to be a particularly good bike handler.

Really? I thought he was an exceptional descender and often takes time on descents. That requires a certain level of bike handling and he had a MTB background?  I’m not saying your wrong, I never heard that and thought the opposite.  But regardless of skill TT bikes are inherently twitchy and deep section wheels could have made it worse.

Slight redirection here but doping aside, this exemplifies LA’s run of 7 TDF “wins” as such a remarkable feat.  He never got sick, injured or crashed out of a race.  Merckx & Hinault had to miss the TDF due to injury and may have won more but couldn’t.  Froome misses two TDF’s during his run and Indurain had a meltdown going for #6.

I’m not an LA fan but I can respect that accomplishment.

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I thought about that too.  I'm not sure why you would need to use both hands to blow your nose.  :scratchhead:

I just read a report in Cyclingnews that he only pulled one hand off the bars and at that instant a gust of wind blew him out of control.  

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I just read a report in Cyclingnews that he only pulled one hand off the bars and at that instant a gust of wind blew him out of control.  

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

According to Poels, who was trailing behind Froome, the pair had topped the Saint-André-d’Apchon climb (2.3km at 7.6%) that was midway through the course. They were on the descent when Froome raised his hand from his aero handlebars mounted on the time trial bike to blow his nose.

According to Poels and Brailsford, a strong gust of wind caught Froome’s wheel and caused the Kenyan-born British rider to lose control. Froome was traveling at nearly 55kph on a straight section of road lined by houses when he struck a low wall and crashed heavily on his right side.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Might be all or nothing as far as hands goes on one of these?  Might have to sit up?  Not sure.  

Image result for froome time trial bike

Not a bike you ride no-handed.  Just saying.  

But, also, he's even a little shaky on a regular bike compared to some folks in the peloton.  Some guys are insanely gifted with balance (obvious example is Sagan), but others not so much despite thousands of hours on a bike.  You can see some guys remove a shoe and sock, swap them with the car, and put them back on - all while cruising at 25+mph in close proximity to cars, motos, and other cyclists.  On the other hand, sometimes you see a pro struggle to get a rain jacket on or off.  I could do NEITHER, but one would think almost all pros could do a lot of that stuff easily.  

I think balance (a great inner ear?) is not required to be a good or great cyclist or cycling racer.  It probably helps, but it probably isn't essential relative to some more important skills and strengths.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not a bike you ride no-handed.  Just saying.  

But, also, he's even a little shaky on a regular bike compared to some folks in the peloton.  Some guys are insanely gifted with balance (obvious example is Sagan), but others not so much despite thousands of hours on a bike.  You can see some guys remove a shoe and sock, swap them with the car, and put them back on - all while cruising at 25+mph in close proximity to cars, motos, and other cyclists.  On the other hand, sometimes you see a pro struggle to get a rain jacket on or off.  I could do NEITHER, but one would think almost all pros could do a lot of that stuff easily.  

I think balance (a great inner ear?) is not required to be a good or great cyclist or cycling racer.  It probably helps, but it probably isn't essential relative to some more important skills and strengths.

I have a neighbor and riding buddy who did one of those TDF tour stages.  They basically dropped them off hours before the start mid way on the stage and they rode  to the finish and then stay & watch the finish. 

He said they did the Alpe stage and due to the traffic they were told to ride back down for pick up after the stage ended. He said there was people, cars & bikes all over the road and he was absolutely white knuckling it down the mtn.  And then George Hincapie and a couple of Posties zoom past him no handed with a bar in one hand, drink in the other weaving through traffic.  

He said he nearly shit himself when he saw that...

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have a neighbor and riding buddy who did one of those TDF tour stages.  They basically dropped them off hours before the start mid way on the stage and they rode  to the finish and then stay & watch the finish. 

He said they did the Alpe stage and due to the traffic they were told to ride back down for pick up after the stage ended. He said there was people, cars & bikes all over the road and he was absolutely white knuckling it down the mtn.  And then George Hincapie and a couple of Posties zoom past him no handed with a bar in one hand, drink in the other weaving through traffic.  

He said he nearly shit himself when he saw that...

Some of the coverage of the Giro on FloBikes included daily extra commentary and side events (like pros and amateurs riding the first stage on Zwift).  Anyway, one episode had one of the commentators showing regular folks sharing the road as the autobus and stragglers slowly came down a descent behind the main race. It was a "share the road BUT move out of the way for the still racing pros" situation and that was not always adhered to.

Skip to 3:14 below:

• Heart 1

I’ve walked down Brasstown Bald and several Alp and Pyrenees climbs with profis zipping past the spectators on their way down. It saves them hours getting to their hotel than if they were to try to get the team bus down the mountains. 

I don’t understand the course Froome was riding, or at least the bike selection. A 2.5 km 7+% climb on a TT rig? And he was going to descend with a disc wheel?

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve walked down Brasstown Bald and several Alp and Pyrenees climbs with profis zipping past the spectators on their way down. It saves them hours getting to their hotel than if they were to try to get the team bus down the mountains.  

I don’t understand the course Froome was riding, or at least the bike selection. A 2.5 km 7+% climb on a TT rig? And he was going to descend with a disc wheel? 

image.png.b4b2a750a5338e2360815a57b97a8728.png

gettyimages_1155434703_670.jpg.9f232d4ab8b9cec83fbad68d7a3087f7.jpggettyimages_1155432658_670.jpg.04a3522c328881b12a605e094ea27e2e.jpggettyimages_1155431528_670.jpg.745d9500bd3814b63f1021a48ca96278.jpggettyimages_1155428415_670.jpg.0d880c25d60c53966aa7957593998a77.jpg

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So you’re saying “they all did it”? 

For a inconsequential stage in June, I might have gone with a road bike and clip on aero bars. 

No, those other guys kept their hands on their bars.

Froome REALLY crashed hard.

14.6 km downhill is much funner on a TT bike! Until it isn't. :whistle:

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Well, they are still on the climb it seems. It’s the descent that gets squirrelly.

I think the key part that hasn’t been discussed is that he was preriding  the TT course.  His attention & focus probably weren’t as sharp and he probably wouldn’t have bothered to take a hand off the bar to blow his nose in an actual race.