I'm in New Orleans next week

goldendesign

I do not see the appeal.  Was there to pick up a boat and we went to the Quarter.  Dirty, smelled like a urinal, cover charges or drink minimums at bars.    Did not have time to explore the city, but the glimpse I got in passing left me non plussed.

I imagine a bit of local knowledge would go a long way to changing my mind.

It is a filth pit, but an awesome one.  I haven't been since Katrina but I always had fun there.  Is Preservation Hall still a thing?  It is well worth the visit for some dixie jazz.  Lots of great food as Zephyr mentioned.  

Like Vegas, everyone needs to see New Orleans at least once.  

Enjoy

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

It is a filth pit, but an awesome one.  I haven't been since Katrina but I always had fun there.  Is Preservation Hall still a thing?  It is well worth the visit for some dixie jazz.  Lots of great food as Zephyr mentioned.  

Enjoy

I was a bit disappointed when my ex and I went there in the 80's.  I guess I was expecting too much.

So the consensus is it is a pit. Got it. I felt the same way about Vegas. But Vegas and NOLA seems to have similar attractions; partying and alcohol. Neither of which I partake in. 

I'll walk frenchmen st and the qtr for the obvious tourist things. I'd love to see the WW2 museum but it closes at 5 and most days I'll be done by then. So night time enjoyment will be my avenue of seeing the city.

Where would you get this food you speak of?

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

Enjoy

I agree with wilbur on music and food.  Preservation Hall is a must see if you like jazz.