Southern Accents in Local Commercials

MickinMD

Is it that the advertising agencies think Maryland is a typical southern state since it's just south of the Mason-Dixon Line or is everybody getting inundated with southern-accent commercials on local TV?

They use phrases like "downright expensive" and "over yonder" and pronounce words like "can't" as "cain't" that most people in the Baltimore-Washington Area associate with poorly educated southern immigrants to the State. When I was a teacher and we'd get student transfers from West Virginia or the Deep South, I had to lean on my students not to tease them about their accents, so I know it's not just an older generation thing.

If I used "downright" in a sentence among friends and relatives I'd be teased about it for the next year - but there it is in a commercial that's been running for months.

Not that there's anything better about the local accent, where "I'm going down to the ocean" often comes out as "Ahm goan downy awshun," but it seems foolish to me to put something in a commercial that would reflect badly on the thing you're selling.

You can tell that these commercials are not shot locally because there are local place names they get wrong: like Riviera Beach that is locally pronounced as "Riveera Beach," and Taneytown ("Tawnee-town" locally).

It's all downright stupid!

• Haha 1

Having spent time in  Virginia, WVA, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, both Carolinas and Georgia I never once considered MD the south although technically it is.  Northern VA isn’t really the south either.

If I could roll up “the south” in one place it would have to be Memphis.

Just now, jsharr said:

The Texas accent was just voted sexiest in the US, ya'll.

Like I said, there's nothing great about the Maryland accent compared to Southern accents, but it seems incredibly stupid to me to put them - with locally "foreign" phrases - in local TV commercials. Why turn a significant portion of the population off?

It's like Conan O'Brien changing the Tonight Show to a more-hip show with a lot of younger generation slang and mentality when the show was primarily watched by a lot of older people and retirees who could stay up late.  He lasted less than 2/3 of a year.  You don't go out of your way to alienate a significant part of your potential audience and expect success.

That's what these local commercials do and I'm amazed because the people making the commercials aren't stupid.  It must be they are ignorant of geography.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Is it that the advertising agencies think Maryland is a typical southern state since it's just south of the Mason-Dixon Line or is everybody getting inundated with southern-accent commercials on local TV?

It's odd then that you don't see western or mid-western accents as well!

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK I had a flashback that only Mick and maybe Tom will remember...

Do you guys remember the Jun Ree self defense commercials. OMG those were so bad they were good!

Nobody bodder me, nobody bodder me eeder....

I do

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK I had a flashback that only Mick and maybe Tom will remember...

Do you guys remember the Jun Ree self defense commercials. OMG those were so bad they were good!

Nobody bodder me, nobody bodder me eeder.... 

When you take Jun Ree self defense, then you too can say... Nobody bothers me. Nobody bothers me.

• Awesome 1