Sorry, been busy...results

petitepedal

14 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Small tear in the rotator cuff 5 or 7 mm? Anyway cortisone shot directed to the cuff unlike the first ones...A little PT and working with my trainer who will need to tweak my workout to the small muscles..but he and my PT person are in the same building and can co-torture me 

So, the cortisone helps with the swelling/inflammation?  And you don't use it for some time? In a sling?  How many cortisone shots have you gotten for it over time?

1 cortisone shot helps.  The second may help.  After that it's a downhill slope.

Listen to your trainer.  At this point it's important that you not overdo the PT in an attempt to heal faster.  None of the specific exercises they give you should go all the way to the pain point.  You are building other muscles to cover for the torn tendon.  If this doesn't work, surgery is next.  It's taken a while for me to restore full range of motion and I'm still limited on the weight I can do in certain positions.  Very limited because it still hurts to do some things.

You can do this but it will take time.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My current full workout for the shoulder takes a bit more than 30 minutes.  At no time do I exceed the seemingly silly small weight of 2.5 lbs in each hand.  (I may be allowed to move up to 5lb soon if it causes no pain) Each exercise involves a specific "rotation" of the hand and a specific direction and distance of the movement called for in that exercise.  Some of the exercises are done with an elastic resistance device instead of weights.  The exercises work and for me have produced a significant improvement.  It's also clear that some of these exercises will be with me for the rest of my life if the problem is not to return.  Getting old causes rotator cuff problems in addition to injury related ones.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

My current full workout for the shoulder takes a bit more than 30 minutes.  At no time do I exceed the seemingly silly small weight of 2.5 lbs in each hand.  (I may be allowed to move up to 5lb soon if it causes no pain) Each exercise involves a specific "rotation" of the hand and a specific direction and distance of the movement called for in that exercise.  Some of the exercises are done with an elastic resistance device instead of weights.  The exercises work and for me have produced a significant improvement.  It's also clear that some of these exercises will be with me for the rest of my life if the problem is not to return.  Getting old causes rotator cuff problems in addition to injury related ones.

This. I do similar and not over 2.5 lbs. But in that same time I kill two birds with one stone. I set a rolling hills program on wife's recumbent style exercise bike which works on legs and light cardio while using the weights exercising the shoulders, upper body. Thought of the combination as we have a gynecologist who lives in the neighborhood and for years (decade +) have seen him jogging/high pace walking the neighborhood and the only person I have ever seen combine it with weights exercising the upper body.

• Heart 2

Very similar to my experience. My guess is the PT will likely be focused on two things: 1) strengthening the muscles around the ripped tendon to take stress off the tendon so it can heal faster, 2) greater range of motion from stretching or working out at certain angles so there's less stress on the tendon.

As others mentioned, 2.5 lbs was the weight I initially was limited to with dumbbells or exercise bands, but that rose to 5 lbs.

Unfortunately, in my case, the tendon didn't heal but it was much more ripped to start with: it reached the point where it was 40% ripped.

• Heart 1