You Don't Know Him

Razors Edge

...but you probably should. Gary Burrell - RIP.

image.png.f058be0ea9673322a6540c3abd9424d9.png

The co-founder of Olathe, Kansas GPS giant Garmin has passed away at the age of 81.

A release from the company said Gary Burrell, aviation pioneer and co-founder of Garmin Ltd., died on Wednesday.

Burrell co-founded Garmin with Dr. Min Kao in 1989, hoping to create projects powered by and using new technology for the time -- the global positioning system, or GPS.

The company said Burrell retired in 2002 and continued to serve as Garmin's co-chairman for two years until he was named chairman emeritus.

According to the company, of all his accomplishments, Burrell was most proud of the jobs he helped create.

"Gary Burrell has been my friend, mentor and partner for more than 30 years," Kao said. "His vision, values, engineering skills and commitment to serving our customers have been the foundation for the growth of our company. It has been both a great privilege and a blessing to have known this amazing man and I know his legacy will live on."

Click here for more information on Gary Burrell and his contributions to the fields of navigation and aviation.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...but you probably should. Gary Burrell - RIP.

image.png.f058be0ea9673322a6540c3abd9424d9.png

The co-founder of Olathe, Kansas GPS giant Garmin has passed away at the age of 81.

A release from the company said Gary Burrell, aviation pioneer and co-founder of Garmin Ltd., died on Wednesday.

Burrell co-founded Garmin with Dr. Min Kao in 1989, hoping to create projects powered by and using new technology for the time -- the global positioning system, or GPS.

The company said Burrell retired in 2002 and continued to serve as Garmin's co-chairman for two years until he was named chairman emeritus.

According to the company, of all his accomplishments, Burrell was most proud of the jobs he helped create.

"Gary Burrell has been my friend, mentor and partner for more than 30 years," Kao said. "His vision, values, engineering skills and commitment to serving our customers have been the foundation for the growth of our company. It has been both a great privilege and a blessing to have known this amazing man and I know his legacy will live on."

Click here for more information on Gary Burrell and his contributions to the fields of navigation and aviation.

Garmin is part of my bike and my car and I'll use it today to find a restaurant I haven't been to for years: RIP Gary!