Death can get fucked.

One of my childhood friends suffered a heart attack a few days ago.  As a result, his brain lost its source of oxygen.   He's currently in a brain dead state.  He's 47 and he's going to die.  His mother literally helped raise me as a baby as my mother worked during the day.  He was one of my closest friends growing up.  I loved him.

And, one of my college roommates just lost his son of 20 something years old.  Due to a staph that took over his body and killed him within days.   They took him off life support in the afternoon and now he's dead.  It's is clearly devastating. 

Fuck you death.  

Rick

• Haha 1
  • Sad 16

16 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

One of my childhood friends suffered a heart attack a few days ago.  As a result, his brain lost its source of oxygen.   He's currently in a brain dead state.  He's 47 and he's going to die.  His mother literally helped raise me as a baby as my mother worked during the day.  He was one of my closest friends growing up.  I loved him.

And, one of my college roommates just lost his son of 20 something years old.  Due to a staph that took over his body and killed him within days.   They took him off life support in the afternoon and now he's dead.  It's is clearly devastating. 

Fuck you death.  

Rick

Sorry bud. Both situations suck.

When I was in my late 20s, one of my best friends got a rare cancer and died. She was in her mid-20s.

Pam was special. One day I was walking across the Quad, and I saw people ahead of me acting startled, and then moving on. When I got to that point, a voice high up in a tree started insulting me. I love climbing, so I climbed the tree. Once I found her, and she realised I didn't take it personally, we had a nice conversational duel, and became fast friends. She had the razor sharp wit that only comes from pain.

She was just starting to grow out of that, and into her own, when cancer struck her down.

That's not the worst I've seen, but the worst I don't like to talk about.

Sorry for your loss.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Shu Fang said:

Fuck you death.  

Rick

My condolences. Unfortunately, I've also lost some friends in the 2000's in their 50's and 60's - too young!

Today, I'm having lunch with several high school classmates - we all turn 69 this year.  One, Rosemary, nearly died of pneumonia last winter: in really bad shape for a month.

I think the only solace from deaths or brushes with it is that we can appreciate, that much more, the fact we've had the luck to continue living. We should strive to keep our bodies healthy and enjoy/give/achieve as much as we can with the precious time we have left. Rosemary says she sure does!