nonfriable asbestos

Airehead

9 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Seriously what does this mean?  We are replacing a roof on one of our building and I need to send the parent notification letters that nonfriable asbestos was found.  What is this?

It means someone is about to spend a lot of money. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, late said:

When you find asbestos, Federal laws kick in. Someone needs to look into what they require, in your circumstance.

She’s Top Dog in a school system. I think they got that covered, hence the need for notice to parents.

15 minutes ago, late said:

When you find asbestos, Federal laws kick in. Someone needs to look into what they require, in your circumstance.

Yep-- we have guys who have guys!  I have the federal form letter but it isnt parent friendly.  I want to help avoid the panic and provide an explanation.  I just asked my project manager to get me the definitions.

11 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You are an engineer.  They are, well how should I say it?   Not normal.  ?

Well she didn't say anything about normal parent, she just stated parent.

See, this is a huge problem with our education system.  How are we supposed to teach kids to communicate effectively when the school administration and teachers can't.  ?

I have gotten into way to many arguments on FB from responding to one of my sister's post and one of her teacher friends/coworkers take exception to what I wrote because they infer more than what I said.  Probably the engineer in me, but I usually try to write what I mean and mean no more than I write.  I also read things that way.

• Haha 1

...it's pretty rare to work in or on a building that was built before the late 80's without running into some asbestos.  It's everywhere in thos ebuildings, as you quickly learn when you deconstruct them in a fire.  Here's a guide....I'm guessing that either the roofing felt or your shingles are to blame, but it might also have something to do with insulation in the attic spaces. Anyway, most of us got some asbestos....those off us who are lucky have it in something like floor tiles that are now covered up with something else.

Where this becomes a major inconvenience is when you rip the stuff out, like floor tiles or asbestos siding, and then try to find some place that will accept the waste. So your roofing job will have something tacked onto it for hazardous waste disposal (might not be a line item, or it might), that will kind of get your attention.

Asbestos was a sold as a modern miracle of technology in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, so there's a lot of it around.  It really is kind of miraculous.  Hideously ugly asbestos siding shingles seem to last virtually forever, and how many of us have ever seen an asbestos tile floor that actually wore out ?  I used to worry a lot about all the exposure I got as a fireman, but now I'm too old to worry any more. :) 

• Heart 2

On 6/14/2019 at 5:55 AM, Digital_photog said:

I did a search and this is one of the easiest to understand explanations I found.  Maybe it will help you.

Friable vs non-friable asbestos

Asbestos-containing materials fall into two broad categories: non-friable and friable.

'Friable' is used to refer to asbestos-containing materials that can be easily reduced to powder by hand, when dry. These materials are more likely to release measurable levels of asbestos into the airborne environment when disturbed, and generally pose a greater risk to health. Examples of friable asbestos-containing materials include:

• sprayed asbestos fire retardants
  • thermal lagging, such as pipe insulation
  • low density boards
  • sheet vynil underlay or backing

'Non-friable', or bonded asbestos is used to refer to asbestos-containing materials in which the asbestos is firmly bound in the matrix of the material. These materials are unlikely to release measurable levels of asbestos fibre into the airborne environment if they are left undisturbed. Therefore, they generally pose a lower risk to health. Examples of bonded asbestos-containing materials include:

• asbestos cement products (flat and corrugated sheeting used in walls, ceilings and roofs, moulded items such as downpipes)
  • vinyl floor tiles (however removal of the glue can be classed as friable)

Because of its strength and its ability to resist heat and chemicals, asbestos was used in a range of insulation materials.

http://www.thebreakthroughgroup.com.au/asbestos-removal/friable-vs-non-friable-asbestos.php

On 6/14/2019 at 5:56 AM, MickinMD said:

Non-friable means the asbestos won't turn into powder by hand - where it could end up drifting into the air and then your lungs.

Friable asbestos usually means asbestos containing materials that have gotten old and brittle.

It would seem you two are in agreement.