This just ain't right, ya'll!

jsharr

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

Dad grew up in Corpus Christi and went to Del Mar College early in his college career.  The first Whataburger opened in 1950 on Ayers Street across from the campus and about three miles from the house my father grew up in on Bluebonnet Lane.  He would have been about 14 or 15 at the time, so I am sure he had a burger from this Whataburger and as a family, we have eaten in Whataburgers all over the state.  The day we spread my grandfathers ashes over the grave of my grandmother in Corpus Christi, we ate at Whataburger on Corpus Christi Bay.

Behold, the world's first Whataburger was located on Ayers Street in Corpus Christi, pictured here on August 8, 1950. While the original building is long gone, the original recipe remains in tact. Photo: Whataburger

Whataburger is a part of Texas, family owned for all these years and it is a part of my family in a way.   To see it sold to an investment banking group is sad for me.

Is there a burger joint or dive, large or small, mom and pop or chain, does not matter, that you consider part of your story?

discus.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

Dad grew up in Corpus Christi and went to Del Mar College early in his college career.  The first Whataburger opened in 1950 on Ayers Street across from the campus and about three miles from the house my father grew up in on Bluebonnet Lane.  He would have been about 14 or 15 at the time, so I am sure he had a burger from this Whataburger and as a family, we have eaten in Whataburgers all over the state.  The day we spread my grandfathers ashes over the grave of my grandmother in Corpus Christi, we ate at Whataburger on Corpus Christi Bay.

Behold, the world's first Whataburger was located on Ayers Street in Corpus Christi, pictured here on August 8, 1950. While the original building is long gone, the original recipe remains in tact. Photo: Whataburger

Whataburger is a part of Texas, family owned for all these years and it is a part of my family in a way.   To see it sold to an investment banking group is sad for me.

Is there a burger joint or dive, large or small, mom and pop or chain, does not matter, that you consider part of your story?

discus.

Yeah In & Out... Family owned local burger place.  They are expanding outward but still primarily a SoCal thing.

We have been going there since I was a teen.  Fortunately still family owned and the burgers haven’t ever changed.

Prolly not enough equity in the company should the existing owners die or want to retire.

OTOH, it would appear that the new owners have some degree of retail food experience: " The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others. "

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah In & Out... Family owned local burger place.  They are expanding outward but still primarily a SoCal thing.

We have been going there since I was a teen.  Fortunately still family owned and the burgers haven’t ever changed.

I have eaten at one on PCH over looking the ocean and I have eaten at a few in Texas.  Good burgers.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Prolly not enough equity in the company should the existing owners die or want to retire.

OTOH, it would appear that the new owners have some degree of retail food experience: " The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others. "

I hear they are changing the menu and changing the name to WhatADonut.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

The Dobson family was worth billions in 2015.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/dobson/#23162a9779f6

Apparently wanted to spend more time with another venture and philanthropy.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/Bank-acquires-majority-stake-in-Whataburger-13998032.php

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I can’t think of one overlooking the ocean?   Ruby’s has a lock on all of the ocean front locations.  

The girl I was visiting lived in Rancho Nigel.  We drove down the PCH to San Diego / La Jolla.  I remember it being high up and overlooking the ocean.  May not have been right on the ocean.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Looks like a cool place.

It was.  The guy that used to drive me there went to a private high school in Tacoma so he knew about it.  I went to a private college in Tacoma so I knew about it.  I once stayed in the hospital there and could see it from my room.  Torture.

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The girl I was visiting lived in Rancho Nigel.  We drove down the PCH to San Diego / La Jolla.  I remember it being high up and overlooking the ocean.  May not have been right on the ocean.

I assumed LA... Yeah there are several along the coast in South OC and SD.

You were in my hood!

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I assumed LA... Yeah there are several along the coast in South OC and SD.

You were in my hood!

I remember we had to go down a bunch of steps to get down to the beach at one point.  I have never been to So Cal.  Just No Cal.  

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

48 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I remember we had to go down a bunch of steps to get down to the beach at one point.  I have never been to So Cal.  Just No Cal.  

Wait what!?!? That’s like me telling you I have never been to Texas but  I have been to Dallas...

Unless you are referring to Baja CA, La Jolla is SoCal.  

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Don’t forget the earthquakes, fires & mudslides!  

I have been to San Diego twice and Laguna Nigel once.  That is all I have seen of California.  We drove down the coast.  I remember seeing gigantic US Marine hovercraft coming ashore during some sort of exercise and the craziness of La Jolla and driving from Rancho Nigel, with all the farms and ranches down to the coast and along the coast to San Diego.

On the San Diego trips we stayed near UCSD or SDSU as we were there as finish line photographers for running events.  Quick in and out trips.  Fly in Friday, drink, work Saturday AM, drink, fly back to Texas.

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have been to San Diego twice and Laguna Nigel once.  That is all I have seen of California.  We drove down the coast.  I remember seeing gigantic US Marine hovercraft coming ashore during some sort of exercise and the craziness of La Jolla and driving from Rancho Nigel, with all the farms and ranches down to the coast and along the coast to San Diego.

On the San Diego trips we stayed near UCSD or SDSU as we were there as finish line photographers for running events.  Quick in and out trips.  Fly in Friday, drink, work Saturday AM, drink, fly back to Texas.

Yeah dude, you were in SoCal, not NorCal.  Laguna Niguel is near where I live & work.

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Maybe Red Barn.  No big story, just an occasional stop while oot on the road.  There are very few of the buildings left that now house things like Chinese Restaurants.  I remember liking the chick peas on their salad bars, and it appears they were the first to do salad bars.  I still miss the Wendy's one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Barn_(restaurant)

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

discus.

I was reading a NYT article today and the food service names in both stories matched up. The NYT  says this:

In recent years the holding company has spent billions to become a rival to the likes of Starbucks and Nestlé by buying chains including Panera Bread, Krispy Kreme and Pret A Manger. Last year, it also helped Keurig Green Mountain buy Dr Pepper Snapple for nearly $19 billion. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/business/reimann-jab-nazi-keurig-krispy-kreme.html?fallback=0&recId=1Men8wGQI59zQ5QdwzU37ZBjQkL&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=OR&recAlloc=top_conversion&geoCountry=US&blockId=most-popular&imp_id=107621478&action=click&module=Most Popular&pgtype=Homepage

The NYT says the owners have a Nazi past

So did a Chicago firm buy it or a German firm?

In n Out is coming closer to Portland. Just broke ground on a Salem Or location. I am intrigued to go try it

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

It's a pretty good burger, methinks. Their fries are cut right in front of you.

There will be a big line for a few months. Just like when Krispy Kreme came to town. Now? Drive right up...no waiting. Still haven't tried them. Donut Land is my go to. I'd link their website but they don't have one. Perfect. Concentrate on making donuts not pixels

13 minutes ago, Dottie said:

It's a pretty good burger, methinks. Their fries are cut right in front of you.

It’s a good quality reasonably priced burger. Their shtick is they have no freezers.  Meat is never frozen, fresh cut fries and their shakes are good too.  No fancy menu items.

If you want fancy burgers go to a fancy place.  In & Out just does the basics but they do it well. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

It’s a good quality reasonably priced burger. Their shtick is they have no freezers.  Meat is never frozen, fresh cut fries and their shakes are good too.  No fancy menu items.

If you want fancy burgers go to a fancy place.  In & Out just does the basics but they do it well. 

Yeah, I agree