How does one control, quantify, and standardize poop?

Page Turner

One dead after poop transplant gone wrong

Varying transplantation methods aside, how does one control, quantify, and standardize poop? This is especially challenging since it’s still unclear which (if any) features of feces are or could be therapeutic. Are specific microbial strains key? Or combinations? Or concentrations? It’s all still undetermined. And unlike typical pharmaceuticals, which are purposefully concocted, dung can come with potentially harmful components, such as pathogens and toxins. How should poop be screened for those?

In July 2013, the FDA held a public workshop on the daunting subject, taking input from researchers, doctors, companies, and the public. The agency came away with the mushy decision to regulate FMTs with a light touch until there’s more data. As the agency puts it, it decided to “exercise enforcement discretion.”

...discuss.  First dibs on any "shitty way to die" comments.

Besides microbial and chemical content, I heard of one other measurement.

A guy named Neil, who graduated from UMBC in Chemistry the year before I did, stopped by the UMBC Chemistry Department the next year: his first in medical school.

He said he had just completed a research project to determine why some shit floats and some sinks: does it float due to higher fat content or higher gas bubble content?

He said the study came to the conclusion it was the gas bubble content.  I don't know which medical journal published the findings!

Neil's claim to fame at UMBC was that his childhood babysitter had been teenager Cass Elliott, later to become Mama Cass of the Mamas and the Papas.

• Heart 3