6/15/19 miles and stuff

Square Wheels

47.2 on the Calamus 1/2 century @ 17.1. Rained about the first 6-7 miles. Started out with a friend of mine who chose to ride his fat bike today. He says it’s more stable on slick roads (and some of the pavement is overdue to be repaved next year so it mitigates the bumps and holes better). We separated a few miles out.  

I stopped at the 2nd SAG to remove my jacket and grab a monster cookie. Their homemade monster cookies are the best I’ve ever had! My buddy, Bob, passed me. I caught him in some hills about 4 miles later and again we separated. 

I stopped at the 3rd SAG because...cookies! Bob passed me again and I could tell he was pushing. Decided I better try to catch him. The final section was more flat. About mile 40, I could feel my legs getting tired just as I caught sight of him. I have only been back on the road bike a couple weeks because of tight back muscles and I’m a bit undertrained! I kept digging. 

If there had been another mile, I would have caught him. He agreed. He said he wanted me to work for it. Let me explain. Bob is about 10 years older than me. He rides 50-90 miles most days. Won his division at Leadville a few years ago. He is tough on a bike! 

Great pizza buffet after and a beer at Scratchtown Brewery on the way home. 

90 minutes of push mowing my yard. Now off to have drinks with some others who rode Calamus today!

• Heart 3