Fathers: know your children's birthday?

shootingstar

Honest, I think many mothers would remember their children's birthdays...….because of the memory of the physicality of pregnancy, labour of giving birth to each baby...   That's my theory as someone who hasn't had children at all.  The physicality of having children (not just raising them) is what seperates women who gave birth vs. those who haven't.

I would agree that involved fathers would remember at least some of their children's birthdays...am referring to fathers who have many children vs. just 1-2.  My partner is diligent and thoughtful in remembering his 2 children's birthdays and giving their gifts.  Every single year.  It is his nature...not because his stepfather cared...because I don't think he did (however his mother was very good celebrating each of her sons' birthdays).

My father who is no longer alive, might have remembered exactly some of his 6 children's birthdays.  Not all. But doesn't mean he didn't care for us if he forgot.

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That was funny.  I wouldn’t have made the video, I could have answered all of the questions... 

I can imagine for parent -child relationships that aren't so good at all...or just truly awful, really bad..maybe parent just wants to...forget because it's just painful for them.

It was my  33 yr. old niece's twitter feed that highlighted this video clip.  She does rightfully claim her father does know the critical details (except her friends, teachers in elementary school). I know my brother-in-law would know such details of his now adult children.

We were watching ABC news Friday evening. David Muir was asking young school-aged kids what Sunday was. After they answered "Father's Day", he'd ask them for one word that describes their dad. "Kind", "Strong", etc. 

He asked a group of 6-7 teenagers the same question. None of them knew Sunday was Father's Day. ?

My kids are adopted, I always remember their birthdays and gotcha day.  Mr. Aire came into their life later. He remembers their birthdays. My parents had a dozen kids. Dad always remembered dates. My mom was too busy stopping us from doing unsafe things to worry about dates. 

• Heart 2

When these types of tv shows do interviews I always wondered how many people did they interview to find what they wanted. They can edit the interview and make anybody look stupid. 

• Heart 1

I remember all my kids birthdays, anniversary, wife's birthday, parents birthday, sisters birthdays. 

And I would still look like an idiot on camera, it's amazing how easy it is to look like an idiot when you are on camera with a microphone in your face.  I've been there and on the spot, it's easy to blank.  Of course I have that problem just remembering when I go to pick up a prescription.  Knowing them well and recalling suddenly on the spot can be to very different things.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I remember all my kids birthdays, anniversary, wife's birthday, parents birthday, sisters birthdays. 

And I would still look like an idiot on camera, it's amazing how easy it is to look like an idiot when you are on camera with a microphone in your face.  I've been there and on the spot, it's easy to blank.  Of course I have that problem just remembering when I go to pick up a prescription.  Knowing them well and recalling suddenly on the spot can be to very different things.

Case in point....,