My 5 lb. Weedwhacker

MickinMD

I have a powerful, gas engine, 0.08" line weed-whacker that approaches 20 lbs in weight and my recovering and cramping-due-to-meds muscles rebel at extended use.  Especially after mowing the lawn like yesterday.

So I just ordered one of those Worx GT Revolution 20 V trimmers that have been advertised on TV lately.  With a $15-off Father's Day sale (thru today, 6/16) at the worx.com site, they're cheaper even after 6% Maryland sales tax and shipping at $102.36 than at Amazon even with free Prime shipping: $119.99 plus probable state sales tax.

The 5.3 lb weight, adjustable handles, shaft telescoping from 35-3/4” to 55-1/2” long (I'm 6'3), and the wheels that make it easy to use as edger or a mini-lawnmower are the main attractions for me.

It is underpowered if you want to do anything besides grass and not-too-thick weeds, with a single 0.065" line, but since that's all I'd be trimming with extended use, it works for me. If I have something heavier to destroy, I have the gas trimmer.  56% of 61 customer reviews on Amazon gave it 5 stars, so hopefully it will please me.

It comes with two rechargeable batteries (one charging while using the other), each of which is good for about 20-30 min. of use according to reviewers on Amazon,  It has wheels that can be turned to use it as a trimmer or a mini-mower.

It comes with three 10' line spools with "free replacement spools for life," which is a joke since you have to pay $8.93 in shipping and handling for each "free" 6 pack of spools (they only charged $11.61 for shipping for the trimmer including 3 line spools, 2 batteries and a charger).  I checked and you can buy your own bulk line and rewind your own like on most trimmers.

WORX-WG170-GT-Revolution-20V-12-inch-Trimmer.jpg.8c760d85895c952a0b9a428b11ad3ba9.jpg

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Airehead said:

My friend is Phoenix has a lawn service that brings goats a couple times a years. They don’t really have grass per see but they have weeds and brush the goats eat. 

There is a guy around Pittsburgh who has a business renting a herd of goats to clear brush. On the steep inclines the goats are right at home, but machinery doesn't work worth a damn. I don't know how he contains them to the site they're meant clear. 

• Haha 1

My gas one died, so after three dead gas weed eaters in my garage.  I went with a Ryobi 40V.

spacer.png

All my universal attachments work, though the edger you have to be gentle or it will bog down and kick out a thermal protection.  But the tiller attachment works good and so does the brush cutter blade.

Best part, it starts every time I pull the trigger.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Airehead said:

But the jury is still out on how well it will cut, correct?  Light weight may be good for your shoulder and hopefully still do a tidy job. 

Yeah, I'm rolling the dice and am hoping the reviews are true that said stuff like, "Don't expect this to replace a gas powered weed whacker with this but I got through all the easy grass the mower couldn't get on my one acre property easily with this trimmer and the two provided batteries."

That's about all I want out of it on my 1/4 acre property.