In too deep?

MickinMD

Friends say that when I start a new activity, I get into it too deep. 

So I've been watching Maury and lately, just before Maury gives the DNA results, I've been trying to tell from the woman's expression and posture if she really thinks the accused guy is the father of her kid(s).

So I got this book. Too deep?

1231771914_JoeNavarro-WhatEveryBodyIsSayingCover.thumb.JPG.edf011c06c7172879503c3f1bce21c4e.JPG

In any case, the book is fascinating:

image.png.ba412dac20ccb88a497d81647dfcb891.png

Book intro excerpt, Marvin Karlins, Ph.D.:

The man sat stoically at one end of the table, carefully crafting his replies to the FBI agent’s inquiries. He wasn’t considered a major suspect in the murder case. His alibi was believable and he sounded sincere, but the agent pressed on he was asked a series of questions about the murder weapon:

“If you had committed this crime, would you have used a gun?”

“If you had committed this crime, would you have used a knife?”

“If you had committed this crime, would you have used an ice pick?”

“If you had committed this crime, would you have used a hammer?”

One of the weapons, the ice pick, had actually been used in the commission of the crime, but that information had been kept from the public. Thus, only the killer would know which object was the real murder weapon. As the FBI agent went down the list of weapons, he observed the suspect carefully. When the ice pick was mentioned, the man’s eyelids came down hard and stayed down until the next weapon was named. The agent instantly understood the significance of the eyelid behavior he had witnessed, and from that moment forward the “minor” suspect became the primary person of interest in the investigation. He later confessed to the crime.

Chalk one up for Joe Navarro, a remarkable human being who, in addition to unmasking the ice-pick killer, is credited with catching scores of criminals, including “master spies,” in a distinguished twenty-five-year career with the FBI.

How was he able to do this? If you asked him, he quietly would say, “I owe it to being able to read people.

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

My favorite Maury of all time was where the baby mama was on for the EIGHTH time with a prospective baby daddy.

She was 1000% sure he was the daddy. ?

Maury: "You are NOT the father!"

Commence boohoo-ing & running to the back.

He's had several many-tested-men women and they all say something like, "It's important to me that my child knows its father."

It sure wasn't important when they chose to sleep with the whole neighborhood!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have been through a couple of training seminars that teach how to spot a liar vs someone who is truthful.  Interesting stuff.  I think all HR people should go through it...

I saw a book about hiring while I was browsing body language books:

image.thumb.png.54031e8ef35673b231da0f72eab18d57.png

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It takes a certain amount of restraint to keep from going in too deep. If you can’t control yourself they make a donut type device you can wear to prevent that from happening.

this has never been a problem for me.  digging with a spoon as it were.

• Haha 1