Lunch - Monday edition

Parsnip Totin Jack

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Often disappoint me :(  How did those rate?  We have a Mason's up at the Town Center, and we used to have a food truck near my old office, but haven't had "good" ones since Cape Cod a few years ago. 

Me too. And crab cakes.  They sound better than they really are. And I'm talking about lobster rolls in Maine and Crab Cakes in Delmarva. Just give me lobsters and crabs and I'm a happy boy.

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Often disappoint me :(  How did those rate?  We have a Mason's up at the Town Center, and we used to have a food truck near my old office, but haven't had "good" ones since Cape Cod a few years ago. 

Fantastic IMHO. These were homemade. I bought three 1 1/4 lb lobsters at the Korean market in Fairfax. $7.99/lb. steamed them, diced the meat with a celery stalk, green onion and fresh ground pepper. Added a tablespoon of mayo to hold it together. The New England rolls came from Wegmans. Lobster rolls always taste better at the shore, but these were good.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Fantastic IMHO. These were homemade. I bought three 1 1/4 lb lobsters at the Korean market in Fairfax. $7.99/lb. steamed them, diced the meat with a celery stalk, green onion and fresh ground pepper. Added a tablespoon of mayo to hold it together. The New England rolls came from Wegmans. Lobster rolls always taste better at the shore, but these were good.

Many people shy away from the Asian markets but I go there often for fresh seafood a fraction of what I’d pay at other markets.

When my mom was still in good shape I’d take her there with my son and we’d try to find the gnarliest food items while my mom shopped. Pig faces, chicken feet and all sorts of creepy crawly things from the water.  We’d pick live crabs out of the bin and he’d try to have them pinch me. I’d put crayfish on him, ah good fun..

Of course the bonus was the Vietnamese bakery next door that was out of this world.  My mom would always get him a treat for being good.  Little did she know how much fun we were having!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I like the Asian market for seafood and produce; good quality and produce. You are correct that you can find everything under the sea there.

In the fall I go there for the persimmons.  They are $1 -$1.25 each at the LGS but range between $.30 - $.50 a LB at the Asian market!

If it was closer to me I’d shop there regularly. It’s just far enough away to be a PITA.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

So, are you doing anything Wednesday? I work from home on Weds, and would be willing to swing by Vienna or thereabouts for some of those!

6 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Me too. And crab cakes.  They sound better than they really are. And I'm talking about lobster rolls in Maine and Crab Cakes in Delmarva. Just give me lobsters and crabs and I'm a happy boy.

Would you come here and let me make you crab cakes. I am sure that you will not be disappointed. 

• Heart 1