Can somebody send over Bicycling mag

Scrapr

14 days to a Century article? 

I am back on the bike after a few...ok a lot of years off. First it was my medical issues (Crohns) then a short period where we sold our main house & moved to our vacation home. Then 2 years on Lindy's C. Rode 3 times last week. SSD (short, slow distance) Partly as a way to stay healthy and work through my grief. I get a promo e mail today from REI. 9 day cycling tour in Columbia (the country). September & November trips. I'm intrigued. I would have to train like a mutha. I'm thinking that if I plunk down the $$$ it will motivate me to train :dontknow:

Here is the brochure

https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/latin/colombia-cycling.html

Things I'm worried about

• Altitude. Tour starts in Bogota. over 8k feet elevation. But only putzing around there. Fly to Cali  and start the cycling. Which is 3350' elevation. About what Bend is. One of the last towns is 6300'. That kinda scares me. Fly in to Bogota a couple days early to adjust?
  • Rain/Sun/Weather
  • Ride a strange bike. Request an E bike? 
  • My Crohns. I take a daily med that keeps the diarrhea away. But strange foods, etc
  • Oh, yeah...elevation gain. One day of 5k feet climbing. Not really that many cycling days in there. 5 I think in a 9 day trip. They include some first day BS and last day breakfast
  • Can i pick up enough cash to pay for my trip working as a drug mule? Should I watch the series Locked up abroad to prepare?
  • What could go wrong?
  • Or wait till next year, laze  around all Winter & have to train hard next year? 

Stupid? Is my thought process affected by my grief? 

• Heart 2

I think it is a bit ambitious but what the hell... I say go for it.

The one thing (other than the $$$) is the elevation.  Whenever I go camping/fishing at Mammoth Lakes in the high Sierra I always give myself a day to adjust to the elevation.  Over 7K feet the rare air will kick your ass.  After a couple of days I can function but you still feel it.  I remember one of my first trips up there putting in my waders made me winded and I needed a break...

I’d plan to arrive a few days early to get your gear sorted and adjust to the elevation.

13 minutes ago, dennis said:

Is there an e-bike option?

It's like Everest. The Nepalese guides do all the hard work pedaling

The altitude probably scares me off the most. I remember one of my first rides to Mt Bachelor. I was through my first water bottle before I got out of town. And was huffing pretty good. Bend is 3500'. So not nothing. But 6000' is another world. What is your elevation @dennis

2 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

It's like Everest. The Nepalese guides do all the hard work pedaling

The altitude probably scares me off the most. I remember one of my first rides to Mt Bachelor. I was through my first water bottle before I got out of town. And was huffing pretty good. Bend is 3500'. So not nothing. But 6000' is another world. What is your elevation @dennis

I live at 6200 ft in the valley. We ride up to 8-9000 ft. There is a lot of climbing around here.

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

If they offer an e-bike option, I'd go for it. You still need to train and ride hard, but it's a bit like having the wind at you back when you need it.

I’m reading a book aboot saving the earth, and a square meter of solar panel in CA could power an ebike for 21000 miles, way farther than even a bike if you used the space to grow wheat for bread to fuel peoples.  I think that clocks in around something comparatively minuscule like 25 or 65 miles. I guess ebikes are future machines!

• Awesome 1

Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

But I've done  Bike Across Italy, and it was fantastic. It's 40-60 miles a day. Only one day of real climbing, and if I could do it. anybody can. I wasn't in great shape, far from it.

The one downside here is it's more expensive, quite a bit more expensive. It's worth it.

https://ciclismoclassico.com/tours/bike-across-italy/

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I’m reading a book aboot saving the earth, and a square meter of solar panel in CA could power an ebike for 21000 miles, way farther than even a bike if you used the space to grow wheat for bread to fuel peoples.  I think that clocks in around something comparatively minuscule like 25 or 65 miles. I guess ebikes are future machines!

what book?

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

I live at 6200 ft in the valley. We ride up to 8-9000 ft. There is a lot of climbing around here.

Booking trip to @dennis instead. I had a friend that lost a ton of weight riding a bike. He was a lobbyist so a lot of lunches & dinners out. Then he did a ride I think called Ride the Rockies. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have an old Bicycling article called Best Training Plan Ever. It's an old school training program, really old school. I got permission to copy it, and I should have a spare left.

When I say old school, it's the old approach to base training, tons of time in Zone 1 & 2. But that makes it good for us older types.

But it's not quick, it has you training all winter. Also not exciting, going slow so much.

17 hours ago, Scrapr said:

9 day cycling tour in Columbia (the country).

Ha! There is no "Columbia"!!!! That was a SCAM!

But, yeah, get your groove back first in any of the wonderful places around you in the US or Canada.  You can probably drive with your bike and all your stuff to countless cool cycling spots for a fraction of the cost of an organized foreign trip.