Up All Night With Ancestors

MickinMD

I woke up around 1:30 am and decided that since my mouth was clean of food traces, sugars, etc. it was a good time to spit in the tube Ancestry.com sent me, which I'll mail back tomorrow to get my DNA results in "up-to 8 weeks."

I will be interesting to see how well my results match my sister's (who already did the ancestry.com DNA test), which worked out mostly as expected, the surprise being she's 1% Jewish. I hope mine shows that too because we have a cousin who is an ethnic racist and I would love to inform her that she is surely part Jewish too!

When I went to the website to activate my test and enter the ID # on the tube, I was invited to complete a family tree.

I've been up all night looking through copies of things older cousins passed along to me like my grandfather's immigrant work permit for the Pennsylvania mines, tombstone pictures I got from findagrave.com, etc.

It went back to my great-grandparents and I knew my maternal grandfather's parents, last name Gryskiewicz, owned a brickyard in Warsaw, Poland. But I didn't know they had the not-so-Polish first names of Martin and Magdeline - Martin was confirmed from 3 different sources.  I was able to correct/add the birthplaces of my paternal grandfather's parents on ancestry.com.

I didn't know both of my grandmother's mothers were from Germany and didn't know their names, though my mother had said her Polish cooking was influenced by German cooking which she learned from her mother whose Polish parents had lived in Germany.

So thanks, great-grandma Julia for the cooking techniques that were passed down to me!

981777733_JuliaKypczynski-BriefInfo-Maternal-MaternalGreatGrandma.JPG.25a62da2da03e983b9836d216d8ecc85.JPGco

1279324086_WilhelminaZimmerer-BriefInfo-Paternal-MaternalGreatGrandma.JPG.3224c607d83e5bf5f8ead30e99955fc8.JPG

• Heart 2

It can be a bit of fun and occasionally frustrating. There are some folks out there who create trees but aren't particularly careful with details/logic. If you quickly add relatives  in from their trees, you can get a lot of nonsense.

I have a pair of distant relative brothers who married sisters. Ancestry's software had a little problem with that because some of the existing trees confuzzled the children/parents.

Also, Wo2's grandfather married a woman, had 9 kids with her, then she died. He married her sister & had 9 more kids. Some of the trees attributed children to the wrong mother  

Mom's tree is kind of a poplar. I wish I had asked her & her mom about their relatives. I recognized a lot of names from old conversations, but have had trouble lining things up. 

You may also notice that certain eras have popular names repeated.

Double check the census data/forms, there are quite a few errors.

And, I found my biological father last year. So that was pretty cool.

• Heart 1