Homestead Rescue

late

My wife watches weird shows. This one should be titled keeping idiots from leaving the gene pool.

She's watching it right now. This young couple quite their corporate gig, which is understandable. But they moved deep into the woods of West Virginia knowing nothing but basic carpentry. Their chickens and pigs are "free range" and they have no outhouse. IOW, there is shit everywhere. There was a 100 ft oak right next to house, which would eventually fallen on their tiny cabin, crushing them in the process.

The guy is having a minor fit, saying he'd move back to the city before giving up on his "free range" idea. Not that this is a big problem, predators will take care of them if he doesn't.

I stood there for a minute, warming up my tea (which I managed to forget cause I got distracted by this). Every couple of seconds they said or did something ridiculous.

They bought some crappy land, in the middle of nowhere, they know less than nothing. What the guy making the show should have said is go home.

Unbelievable.

It is amazing that some people will head to the woods and have no idea how to survive or protect their crops / livestock / possessions.

One couple had poisonous drinking water and their dogs had gone feral and were eating their turkeys.  They ended up with some sort of ultraviolet light and ozone water purifier that was far from what I would consider off the grid homesteading.

That said, we all need help and we do not know what we do not know.

I like the show and I like that these people are out there to help, but then again, the help they offer is often not a common skill set, like bringing in trucks full of boulders to create a dry wash to prevent erosion.

Other things like how to find a spring and build a cistern to provide water are pretty cool.

Just now, jsharr said:

It is amazing that some people will head to the woods and have no idea how to survive or protect their crops / livestock / possessions.

One couple had poisonous drinking water and their dogs had gone feral and were eating their turkeys.  They ended up with some sort of ultraviolet light and ozone water purifier that was far from what I would consider off the grid homesteading.

That said, we all need help and we do not know what we do not know.

I like the show and I like that these people are out there to help, but then again, the help they offer is often not a common skill set, like bringing in trucks full of boulders to create a dry wash to prevent erosion.

Other things like how to find a spring and build a cistern to provide water are pretty cool.

I prefer to research something like that to death, and then decide I like a good restaurant.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, late said:

My wife watches weird shows. This one should be titled keeping idiots from leaving the gene pool.

She's watching it right now. This young couple quite their corporate gig, which is understandable. But they moved deep into the woods of West Virginia knowing nothing but basic carpentry. Their chickens and pigs are "free range" and they have no outhouse. IOW, there is shit everywhere. There was a 100 ft oak right next to house, which would eventually fallen on their tiny cabin, crushing them in the process.

The guy is having a minor fit, saying he'd move back to the city before giving up on his "free range" idea. Not that this is a big problem, predators will take care of them if he doesn't.

I stood there for a minute, warming up my tea (which I managed to forget cause I got distracted by this). Every couple of seconds they said or did something ridiculous.

They bought some crappy land, in the middle of nowhere, they know less than nothing. What the guy making the show should have said is go home.

Unbelievable.

It’s good ratings... My wife watches those fixer upper shows and they almost always have a difficult owner who is a PITA to draw you in.   

A friend had a few acres of corn growing, his neighbor was raising a few pigs. The pigs got loose and basically moved into the corn field. They seemed to be doing well and the pig guy saw no need to catch them.

My buddy and the pig guy agreed to shoot the pigs in the fall and divvy up the meat. Didn't hear how it worked out.