Gel / Goo wrappers

Square Wheels

So, I'm riding in the city and wanted to test out a gel during a ride to make sure it sits OK in my stomach.  I have a long ride coming up in July and want to test a couple of things out now.

So, being an environmentally polite citizen I don't want to throw the wrapper on the ground, but it's sticky.  What am I supposed to do with it?  Today I left it in my gloved hand until I found a trash barrel, but by them I had gel all over my glove and bike.

I want to be able to eat one every hour or so along with some real food.  How do I manage the wrappers?  Should I take a baggie along for trash?

• Heart 1

ok...before you go and invest in Jersey Bins....here's the real dope:

you're jersey has 3 pockets right? if it doesn't get a cycling jersey. They have 3 pockets across the back.

Put your gels and Clif bars in one pocket

As you use a gel or Clif bar, put the wrapper IN THE OTHER POCKET

basically, you are designating one of your pockets as a trash can

just put the stuff in there and throw it out when you get home. Who cares if its sticky, you are going to wash your jersey anyway, right?

no go forth and ride! :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

once you find a gel you like ( Hammer gels for me) you can buy a larger container of the gel, and a flask.  If you buy from Hammer they will give you the flask free if you buy the larger container of gel.  Otherwise I have seen the flasks at the LBS or REI for $2. The advantage is you can take the gel while you ride, and there is less mess. 

• Heart 3

if you are out for more than 2 hours, you have to eat. Eat every hour on the hour whether you are hungry or not.

On  a century, I always needed more than gels and Gatorade, but work that out for yourself. Whatever works.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I don't do a lot of long rides, usually 20 - 30.  I don't eat.  If I do 50+ I might bring a banana.

If I go less than 20 I bring 1 water.

If I go longer, I bring bottles with 1 scoop of Heed.  For centuries I will bring a few Gel, some sunbutter and jelly on gluten free bread, and baggies of Heed and use water at the stops.

I was using long rides as an excuse to eat.  That needs to stop.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Um, yeah. Pockets. Use 'em.

Otherwise, use Clif Shotblocks. No worries about goo, and they are much the same as a gel. Honestly, far more convenient than gels overall. Not as acidic either when you take them in, whereas some gels necessitate you drinking a decent amount of water to wash them down immediately. Not that this isn't a bad idea, but you can just eat the Shotblocks and take your time about drinking some water to back them up.

Gels are indeed messy period.

Don't bother with that Hammer Gel flask....you're going to drop it during a ride and wish you'd never invested in it. Everyone I've ever seen, known, or that has ever lived has dropped the flask during a ride or race or other event.

• Heart 2

I saw 4 of those hammer flasks on the bike course during a 1/2 IM on Saturday. 1 the first lap, 3 more on the second lap. I am sure there were more that I did not see.

lol... The funny part is, I'd wondered about this even before I'd bought one. The very next race I did, watched a guy drop his. Nevermind all the goo that develops around the lid after a few gulps of it. Gel is messy period...but man I love the apple/cinnamon flavor.

Of course, I had this one time that I 'shot' 3 shotblocks straight out of the package onto the ground, but it was no tragedy since I had 3 more and had plenty of other food to spare.

I have not had any problems with flasks, nor have any of my fellow club members.  We are not racing;  this is for century and double century rides. Planet Ultra and the LA Wheelmen have had Hammer Gel in containers at sags that can refill a flask.

• Heart 3

• 2 weeks later...

Um, yeah. Pockets. Use 'em.

Gels are indeed messy period.

Don't bother with that Hammer Gel flask....you're going to drop it during a ride and wish you'd never invested in it. Everyone I've ever seen, known, or that has ever lived has dropped the flask during a ride or race or other event.

I've  never had a problem with the flask. Sometimes it's difficult to get the last bit out while riding. What I usually do is add a bit of water to make it more of a liquid than a syrup. Haven't dropped one yet.

• Heart 2

• 4 weeks later...

Check into a Hammer product called Perpetum.  Something like that...

Like a gel that you mix into your water.  Keep a bottle of that and a bottle of water.  Alternate sips of each.  Keeps your energy topped off and no need for gels/shot blocks/etc.  Not nearly as messy.

• Heart 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yeah!  I am going to try it on my leaky gutter seam that has been very stubborn.

I used something used for sealing gutters, I think it might have been called gutter seal or something like that. It worked. If all else fails there is always "Flex Tape" as seen on TV. You can saw a boat in half, tape it back together with that stuff and drive the boat across the lake and it doesn't leak. The part that impressed me was it didn't come apart in the middle of the lake.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...