Cracker Barrel

Airehead

Dad loved Cracker Barrel. We would roll our eyes and go because we knew it wouldn't be long before that changed. Mom seems to embrace trying new places. She likes coming to new places where Dad wouldn't try. MIL doesn't care as long as she can get a chicken fried steak...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Tonight I will go to Cracker Barrel. I will not complain. I will not whine about waiting in line. I will be grateful that our dear friend is still with us and able to pick The eating establishment.    

I agree sometimes you have to go along. Since I’ve been forced to eat lower carb by diabetes, I haven’t found much at the Crack Barrel, or Denny’s and Olive Garden for that matter that fits. 

But sometimes you have to stand up and say- over my dead body. Like the time in England when my colleagues, one who was higher ranking, wanted dinner at Subway. I dug my heels in and got my mushy peas. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I agree sometimes you have to go along. Since I’ve been forced to eat lower carb by diabetes, I haven’t found much at the Crack Barrel, or Denny’s and Olive Garden for that matter that fits. 

But sometimes you have to stand up and say- over my dead body. Like the time in England when my colleagues, one who was higher ranking, wanted dinner at Subway. I dug my heels in and got my mushy peas and ale.

Sorry I meant to edit not quote the post above. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

But sometimes you have to stand up and say- over my dead body. Like the time in England when my colleagues, one who was higher ranking, wanted dinner at Subway. I dug my heels in and got my mushy peas. 

You would have been justified killing your coworker, you know.  I hope you told him that.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

,,,Cracker Barrel (the corporation) just took a courageous stand on who can and cannot have an event at a Cracker Barrel in TN.  I was very surprised by it.  I won't further politicize your thread...you can Google it if you want. maybe it will make you feel better about eating there. :)

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Tonight I will go to Cracker Barrel. I will not complain. I will not whine about waiting in line. I will be grateful that our dear friend is still with us and able to pick The eating establishment.    

Back in the mid-90's, they only had Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's in the Southeast.  I was thinking of buying the stock after a favorable Graham-Buffett Value type research at the library (no massive internet info back then) and I asked one of my honors chemistry students, whose older brother I had taught, "You and your parents drive down to North Carolina to visit your brother in college. Do you ever eat at a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store?"

She answered, "No, every time we drive past one it's too crowded."

I joined the stock's DRIP at $17/share and have added to it since.  It's $167.89 right now and pays are 4.9% dividend.  I wasn't able to buy enough to make me rich, but it's a comforting piece of my nest egg.

When I coached the high school cross country team and we had a far-away meet, if there was a Cracker Barrel near the meet I phoned it and scheduled our team dinner there and, with 40 people coming, they guaranteed we wouldn't wait long. The kids loved it and knew what meals provided the best bang-for-the-buck.

Now we have one 20 minutes from my home but we don't eat there very often because the wait is still long!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

,,,Cracker Barrel (the corporation) just took a courageous stand on who can and cannot have an event at a Cracker Barrel in TN.  I was very surprised by it.  I won't further politicize your thread...you can Google it if you want. maybe it will make you feel better about eating there. :)

Maybe they were just tired of the word cracker being a derogatory term. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Rattlecan said:

We will most likely have lunch at a Cracker Barrel tomorrow on our way to Ohio. Probably Erie Pa.We usually try to hit one or two when we visit the USA.

Try the kale and Brussels sprout salad as a side dish. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Spending the first 5 nights at Buck Creek state park, Springfield, followed by a few nights in Perrysville at the Mohican Lodge.

Why are you doing this, with all the myriad places you could go?  I think you will have fun, I am always curious how people end up stumbling into Ohio.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Why are you doing this, with all the myriad places you could go?  I think you will have fun, I am always curious how people end up stumbling into Ohio.

It's not too far, they have lots of great bike trails, and Dayton has a bunch of museums I have always wanted to visit.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

...I am planning one last trip to the Paris of the Midwest so I can lounge in the colorful sidewalk cafes and listen to the sounds of strolling sidewalk accordion players.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

We will most likely have lunch at a Cracker Barrel tomorrow on our way to Ohio. Probably Erie Pa.We usually try to hit one or two 

When we are pressed for time while traveling Cracker Barrel allows us to park our motorhome over night so we eat at CB from time to time. 

• Heart 1

Breakfast there was pretty good, but dinner was snot!  I had high hopes that it would be good, especially the greens, but no. I might try it once more in case I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, but chains have sort of conditioned me to believe that the experience is pretty consistent. 

I wired one years ago. They knew exactly what they wanted, and they wanted it yesterday.

That all brown color scheme is depressing as hell before they hang all the knick knacks.

Something I never saw before or since; the guy that did the floor in the kitchen. Dumped a big pile of sand, Portland cement, & I don't what else. Mixed it with a roto tiller while adding water with a hose. Worked like a charm.

I like the food occasionally, not a steady diet. Esp. the country ham & hash brown casserole  :hapydance: 

• Heart 3

On 6/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, wilbur said:

I have only eaten at the CB in Battle Creek.  Only breakfast and I didn’t mind it at all.  

Who here has a CB rocking chair?  :) 

I was trying to figure out if I could fit two of them in the back of the car. Maybe get one in 

• Heart 2

On 6/22/2019 at 8:37 PM, Kirby said:

I like the grilled chicken tenders. :nodhead: 

My wife loves those things.

We ate at a CB Friday night.  Rolled in kinda late to a hotel, games and triathlons early the next morning.  CB was right next to the hotel and we didn't know what else was close.  I had the fish fry.  It was really good fried fish if you're into that kinda thing.  I would eat it again.  The kids both had breakfast (bacon and pancakes) and liked them a lot.  The wife had her normal chicken tenders grilled.  

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Further said:

I wired one years ago. They knew exactly what they wanted, and they wanted it yesterday.

That all brown color scheme is depressing as hell before they hang all the knick knacks.

Something I never saw before or since; the guy that did the floor in the kitchen. Dumped a big pile of sand, Portland cement, & I don't what else. Mixed it with a roto tiller while adding water with a hose. Worked like a charm.

I like the food occasionally, not a steady diet. Esp. the country ham & hash brown casserole  :hapydance: 

I like the rototiller part.  that's pretty funny,

• Heart 1