Basic shoemaking method

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I thought you were going to say something about throwaway shoes, that with all that labor they could at least be welted.

Exactly!  You should buy a pair of Paul Parkmans.  They do a lot of Norwegian stitched Goodyear welts.  Only 3/4 though.  But, under $500.

3 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Exactly!  You should buy a pair of Paul Parkmans.  They do a lot of Norwegian stitched Goodyear welts.  Only 3/4 though.  But, under $500.

I figured you as a Goodyear welt guy, not a Blake welter like Cheese.

I wear Crocs with socks

• Awesome 1

The trick is to buy cheap but comfortable shoes for most occasions and wear the expensive ones when you need to impress someone.

Here are my "expensive" mow-the-lawn shoes (they usually have my size 11 wide in Walmart). I buy them over the decent $17.87 and so-so $10 sneakers because the Dr. Scholl's shoes have exceptionally good padding.  They don't fit quite as well as expensive running shoes but fit ok if I'm not running and I never have to bother to get the grass stains off these:

image.thumb.png.86c5cda24b642f8cbfe855e08c9d4069.png

I love these not-too-soft but nicely padded fisherman sandals (bottom below). They're hard to find at that quality for under $40 outside of Walmart. I'm worried about them being discontinued - they're out of stock right now - and will order more if they come back into stock at that incredible price. They are very durable and open enough to so the breezes can get to your feet while closed up enough you don't get kicked out of stores for wearing sandals.  I also have a pair of the same-priced Wrangler Strap Sandal (top below) that's more open but also velcro. On a pebbly beach on the Yucatan Peninsula (I posted pictures from it while I was there in Aug. 2017) it cost $20 to rent water shoes.  So most of us just wore the sandals we brought into the beautiful, clear, salty water of the Caribbean.  Most of our group reported their sandals falling apart later.  I STILL have mine and they're fine.  I have a size 11 fishernab sandal for kicking around at home and a size 10 that won't my feet won't slide around in while walking that I take to the beach, pool, etc. 

1364255231_SandalsfromWalmartOnline2_11_18.JPG.4871c4a4cf8e4cbdc0f8a8beabc9d203.JPG