Is it weird that I have never been called to jury duty?

Allen

Kinda like saying I haven’t had a flat tire in a while... Damn I said it...

I actually helped a stranded cyclist two weekends ago and was proud of myself for getting him from walking to riding in under 5 minutes.  Hopefully my good deed buys me some flat karma.

• Heart 1

I have been called at least half a dozen times.  Sat on one jury for a kid that got busted speeding.  I voted for hanging but he beat the rap.  I was one of the few that voted guilty, maybe the only one that voted guilty so I changed my vote so we could leave!  Gotta love our legal system at work.  Jury of your peers my ass.

Got called and seated for a second jury and then right after we started hearing testimony the lawyers had a confab and we all went home.  I think the state screwed up some how and the DA had to dismiss the case.

Been sent home without being selected more than I have been selected.

• Heart 1

Are you registered to vote @Allen  that makes a difference.

I've been called four times-- twice sent home without anyone being called.  Once dismissed by defense--- I'm pretty sure it happened right after they asked what I did for a living.  I believe it was a child murder case as it was all over the news.  Other time-- I'm too old and cannot remember.

• Haha 2

I've been called a few times.  The last time, about 20 years ago, I made it to the final selection.  I had to sit in the witness box and answer questions from the lawyers.  I asked to have a couple of things repeated because I didn't understand the question.  I wasn't selected, I think the assumed I was not that bright.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I've been called a few times.  The last time, about 20 years ago, I made it to the final selection.  I had to sit in the witness box and answer questions from the lawyers.  I asked to have a couple of things repeated because I didn't understand the question.  I wasn't selected, I think the assumed I was not that bright.

Maybe. More like trouble.

29 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I've been called four times-- twice sent home without anyone being called.  Once dismissed by defense--- I'm pretty sure it happened right after they asked what I did for a living.  I believe it was a child murder case as it was all over the news.  Other time-- I'm too old and cannot remember.

I am registered to vote. 

28 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Indiana does it by driver's license now because people wouldn't register to vote to avoid jury duty.

I've never been called, wife has once.  They asked her what she did for a living and was immediately dismissed.  Don't know why the defense wouldn't want a tax accountant on a tax related case.

• Heart 1

My mom was slated for a long drawn out case and the judge asked if any of them felt they could not be impartial.  My mom stood up and said "My son is a cop, and I dont think a cop would lie".

She was quickly dismissed.  She called and thnaked me for my chosen profession because she was going to miss a tee time

• Haha 1

I've been called twice. One of those times a buddy and I would have gotten kicked off the case because of bicycling. During the voir dire, the defense lawyer asked if we could avoid doing things like looking at the accident site on Google Maps. I said that I'd already seen the scene of the accident while riding my bicycle.  A riding buddy was also on the prospective jury panel and said the same thing. However they settled out of court before going to trial.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have been called at least half a dozen times.  Sat on one jury for a kid that got busted speeding.  I voted for hanging but he beat the rap.  I was one of the few that voted guilty, maybe the only one that voted guilty so I changed my vote so we could leave!  Gotta love our legal system at work.  Jury of your peers my ass.

Got called and seated for a second jury and then right after we started hearing testimony the lawyers had a confab and we all went home.  I think the state screwed up some how and the DA had to dismiss the case.

Been sent home without being selected more than I have been selected.

I resemble this.

When I was on my first criminal trial jury and was selected as foreman, I thought I'd feel great about "striking a blow for justice" if I found the man guilty.  But it's not like on TV.  When you have to speak the word "Guilty," in court - as I did 3 times for all 3 counts (conspiracy, robbery, armed robbery), and out of the corner of your eye you see the defendant's mother collapsing back into her seat, and you look the defendant in the eyes and see all hope fade, you don't feel great at all.  You know you are doing the right thing, but the feeling is kind of like deciding to put a pet to sleep.  You know this is a human being and your decision is putting him in prison for a long time.  As we jurors suspected and later learned was true, this was a 3rd federal offense and that meant life in prison without chance or parole.

It used to be in Maryland that some people didn't vote because jurors were selected from voter registration lists.

Then they changed it to driver's license lists.  I think they use a combination now.

I was called in 1994 to Federal Court where I was foreman of a jury where the guy and two others robbed a Federal Armored Express man of $290,000.  Guilty after 2 days of deliberations.

Federal Court was fun because I wasn't docked any pay or time from work, was on duty 10 total days at $48/day in December, and they don't report it to the IRS. That provided an extra $480 ($830 in 2019 dollars) for Christmas Presents, etc.  My other jury duties were with the County Circuit Court that paid only $10-$15/day.

I was called in 1998 to County Circuit Court where I was not the foreman in a case where the BWI Airport Parking Lot manager was robbed of $38,000.  Guilty after 2 days of deliberations.

I was called to the County again in 2014 and 2018 but only had to show up one day and wasn't selected to a jury. I think I mentioned here that the only case where I was on the Voir Dire Jury (candidates for a trial) in 2018, the judge was an old high school friend and later a men's softball teammate (he retired this year) and two of the other potential jurors were former high school chemistry students of mine.  A woman candidate juror sitting in front of me after all that was announced in the courtroom turned around to me and said, "You're out of here!"  She was right.

I was in group 659:

1500296560_ReportTues.JPG.3279a64244c33e7812f5b7db591ee980.JPG

1192988248_JuryDutyOver!.JPG.08e682cca81a6fc8efc97113319c7610.JPG

583910764_CourtHistory.jpg.472a12444714b4d091b1e1cc22865620.jpg

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I was on my first criminal trial jury and was selected as foreman, I thought I'd feel great about "striking a blow for justice" if I found the man guilty.  But it's not like on TV.  When you have to speak the word "Guilty," in court - as I did 3 times for all 3 counts (conspiracy, robbery, armed robbery), and out of the corner of your eye you see the defendant's mother collapsing back into her seat, and you look the defendant in the eyes and see all hope fade, you don't feel great at all.  You know you are doing the right thing, but the feeling is kind of like deciding to put a pet to sleep.  You know this is a human being and your decision is putting him in prison for a long time.  As we jurors suspected and later learned was true, this was a 3rd federal offense and that meant life in prison without chance or parole.

It used to be in Maryland that some people didn't vote because jurors were selected from voter registration lists.

Then they changed it to driver's license lists.  I think they use a combination now.

I was called in 1994 to Federal Court where I was foreman of a jury where the guy and two others robbed a Federal Armored Express man of $290,000.  Guilty after 2 days of deliberations.

Federal Court was fun because I wasn't docked any pay or time from work, was on duty 10 total days at $48/day in December, and they don't report it to the IRS. That provided an extra $480 ($830 in 2019 dollars) for Christmas Presents, etc.  My other jury duties were with the County Circuit Court that paid only $10-$15/day.

I was called in 1998 to County Circuit Court where I was not the foreman in a case where the BWI Airport Parking Lot manager was robbed of $38,000.  Guilty after 2 days of deliberations.

I was called to the County again in 2014 and 2018 but only had to show up one day and wasn't selected to a jury. I think I mentioned here that the only case where I was on the Voir Dire Jury (candidates for a trial) in 2018, the judge was an old high school friend and later a men's softball teammate (he retired this year) and two of the other potential jurors were former high school chemistry students of mine.  A woman candidate juror sitting in front of me after all that was announced in the courtroom turned around to me and said, "You're out of here!"  She was right.

I was in group 659:

1500296560_ReportTues.JPG.3279a64244c33e7812f5b7db591ee980.JPG

1192988248_JuryDutyOver!.JPG.08e682cca81a6fc8efc97113319c7610.JPG

583910764_CourtHistory.jpg.472a12444714b4d091b1e1cc22865620.jpg

@jsharr