Don't speed on your bike in Denver

JerrySTL

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So to recap" "weed good, speed bad"?

No, both are very good for putting money into the governments accounts, and that is what they really care about.

• Haha 1

I like the idea.  On the airline trail it's normal for asshats to go speeding past peds, horses and pets at a high rate of speed without so much as a peep.  They scare the shit out of people that they come up behind.  IMO fast bikes on a mup are like drunk drivers on a road frequented by cyclists.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I like the idea.  On the airline trail it's normal for asshats to go speeding past peds, horses and pets at a high rate of speed without so much as a peep.  They scare the shit out of people that they come up behind.  IMO fast bikes on a mup are like drunk drivers on a road frequented by cyclists.

Agreed. Walkers, Moms with strollers, dogs on leashes are all likely to create big speed differentials for someone going too fast on a bike. Our Tuesday group ride stays on the streets because we will average well over 15 on most rides. Our Thursday Casual ride is a mix of street and trail, but averages 10-11 mph. Both have their place and both are fun in their own way. 

My cycling warning ticket - against my driver's license!

Several years ago, I was cycling on the B&A Trail, which crosses a lot of roads.  The sky began to get dark quickly and I decided to rush back to my car and at one of those road intersections, the bike crossing sign was red but there was no traffic moving anywhere.  So, as most cyclists do there anyway, I crossed the road against the red sign hoping to get to my car before it rained.

An unmarked police car happened to be parked alongside the crossing and the next thing you know, I got a warning ticket against my driver's license!  Since I didn't have my license with me (it wasn't required), it took him a long time to electronically gather the information.  Meanwhile it began to rain hard.  When he handed me the warning ticket, it was raining so hard it was already illegible.  I wanted to thank him for making my return to my car more dangerous but I know better that to run my mouth at the wrong time.

It turns out that a teenage couple had been hit nearby by a car while jaywalking to get to a carnival the previous week and the police had been ordered to give out a lot of tickets!

So now, when I'm at any bike trail/road intersection, I see a bunch of bikes going across the empty road on red but I have to wait for green because I've got a warning ticket on record!

• Heart 1